how long does it take to raise full grown turkeys

freshegg

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
greenfield,ma
I also am wondering what kind of house they need. only want to raise 6 for the fall winter monthly turkey dinner. I also need to know what kind is mostly white meat like you buy at the store. (not dry like butterball, mine are always moist except those butterballs).

We raised two turkeys last year for the first time, white broad-breasteds, pretty much the analog to Cornish X chickens. The literature says six months. We kept them almost six months, fed them generously, and let them free-range during the day. One, the hen, dressed out at 24#; the tom dressed out at 44# and wouldn't fit in the oven!

We housed them in a 10' by 10' pen that we have, with a tarp over part of it for shelter from rain, etc.; but, as I say, they were loose during the days.

Based on our experience I'd say take a close look at them at 4.5-5 mos., and if they look big enough, kill 'em and grill 'em (or put them in the freezer for the holidays).

We cooked ours in one of those plastic bake-in bags and they were plenty moist and tender.

Last edited:
It depends on the size of bird you want. We had two white ones last year and they were 12 weeks old and dressed out at 12 lbs. We just kept food in front of them at all times.

Quote:
What was the live weight when you processed them? Is there a general ration of live to processed weight? That way I will know when to process mine.
smile.png

Not sure what the live weight was. I'm thinking 3-5 pounds heavier? Not sure. Maybe someone else will know. We just looked at them and said it's time they are where we want them.

A lot shorter than most people think given the number of 50+ lb turkeys I see at the processors!

lol.png

No kidding. Ours are a month old and already are looking like baby emus. I think they are going to be processed about a month earlier than we expected.​

thanks to everyone who posted answers for me. I have to find out how much and what they eat so I can make sure its cost effective. I dont have a farm just a quarter acre but sis has 6 and out buildings (all full of junk)
sad.png
. Im thinking if I do all the setting up and cleaning and buying they can go there hopefully.

This will be my third year for raising turkeys. I kind of enjoy them more than the meat birds. Turkeys are very social. Last year I raised 2 white and 4 bronz. At night/evening last year my turkeys conversed with an owl every day. It was really awesome to listen to them.
I usually get my turkeys in May and butcher in late October last year my white male dressed out at 35#'s & was very moist & tasty even tho I had to cut him in two to roast him.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom