How long does it take you to fall asleep?

Here's a few tips I give my Nutritional Consulting clients when they complain of insomnia. (SORT OF LONG)

1. Get rid of the TV. No TV in bed.

2. The bed is for two things, sleep and...well...you know.

3. Don't exercise just before bedtme. The "rush" will keep you up for hours. (the exercise you get from "well..you know" will help you sleep so I encourage as much of it as your Dr. says is healthy...)

4. Don't take vitamins at night, (especially Bs) they will perk you up causing you to loose sleep. Take them right AFTER breakfast. Take minerals, (calcium, iron, magneisium etc...) at night.

5. Don't drink coffee or anything other than water after 1100am.

6. Set an alarm and wake up at the same time EVERY DAY, even weekends. Chug a large glass of water and eat breakfast within 45 min of waking up. Then get some sun on your face. The sunlight restarts your "clock" so it woll know in about 12 hours it's time for bed.

7. Don't read in bed. sit up in a chair and read until you're tired then go to bed.

8. Eat a good size breakfast (lots of fruit), a medium lunch( something light like salad with chicken etc...) and a very very light dinner(like a dinner salad, or fish dish, maybe small serving of pasta. (fill the gaps with snacks of fruit and or veggies every two to three hours. never let yourself get "hungry") NO FRIED FOODS!!!
Eating a heavy dinner will keep you awake, and when you finally fall asleep you'll have nightmares.

9. Go to the local health food store and ask for "calming herbs" and take those along with "B" vitamins and a general Multivitamin after breakfast.

10. Take at least 20 to 30 minutes of strenuous exercise, (breathing heavy, and sweating) every other day, just before breakfast or just before lunch.

11. Take a hot bath (not a shower) with lavender scent just before bed.

You'll be sleeping well within a week.

(gees, you'd think after 38 years I'd learn how to spell...)

Last edited:
Most of the time it is soooooooo hard to fall asleep. Even if I'm tired. I flip, flip, flip. Then a lot of the time I wake at 3am. So much stuff can run through my mind. About half hour before its time to get up, I'm out like a light. I always wake up before my alarm goes off. I started this waking up at 3am when I was about 12 years.

If I'm lucky 20 to 30 mins
sad.png
. I can be dead tired and it can still take that long. I try and take a 1 hr nap and I'm just barely asleep by the end of it. Then my DH gets mad when he wakes me up and I say I need more time. He sleeps like a log in no time flat
somad.gif

I try and cut out caffeine around 4pm. I get too into books to read, I will keep reading all night long.

If the DH falls asleep first and the sawing of wood starts before I fall asleep, it could be hours! If he's quiet, I can fall asleep right away! I try to sneak in a 10-20 min. nap to catch up if he's been at the wood pile all night lol!
big_smile.png

I had a horrible time sleeping for years. My husband was convinced I had sleep apnea but I always blew him off. Then a co-worker of mine died at age 43 from heart problems secondary to untreated sleep apnea. She left behind 4 children and she was found on Thanksgiving morning by one of her 8 year old twins. She was on the couch trying to sleep so her husband could at least rest. So incredibly sad. It was a wake-up call and I pushed my doctor (Kaiser, and that's whole other topic, grrr!) to get myself tested. It took 4 months before they could get me into the sleep lab. Then they called me immediately that afternoon to tell me my results put me in the 'severe apnea' range. They got me set up with a C-PAP machine. I also have a secondary diagnosis of insomnia (was waking after just a couple hours) so take a prescription for that. I believe that apnea is a very under diagnosed problem. Being treated, for me, has been a literally life changing experience. I used to dread going to bed, it just seemed pointless. And I'd already tried all the usual solutions. My lack of sleep was affecting every aspect of my life. I wasn't safe to drive the eight miles home after work. I eventually felt that my decision making ability at work was compromised and that a patient could suffer as a result. I finally insisted to my doctor "authorize the sleep test or put me on disability" as I was a hazard to myself and others. Got my sleep test and ended up firing that doctor for his lack of concern. Anyway, sorry for the long post. But I highly encourage anyone with sleep problems to talk with their doctor!! The human body requires adequate sleep to function properly and you could be risking other health conditions by compromising this basic need!!

I agree with much of what seismic lists. What really helped us is when we bought a Tempurpedic bed. Pricey, but totally worth it.

Now instead of laying awake for 45 minutes, I fall asleep in about 5.
I am a light sleeper, however. I wish I were more like palbeco.

Last night? 5 hours.
caf.gif
<----- (me this morning.
lol.png
)

Usually, about an hour. It's always taken me a long time to fall asleep--the only reason is my brain. It just keeps runnng at 100 mph long after my body has quit!

Crunchie said:
It's always taken me a long time to fall asleep--the only reason is my brain. It just keeps runnng at 100 mph long after my body has quit!

That used to be part of my issues with not sleeping well. I'd lay there with my brain going and thinking about all things I had to do, etc. I'd then lay there knowing that I'd forget to remember what was so gosh darn important to me right then. So, my hubby got me a small recorder. I set it next to my bed and whenever I think of something through the night that I don't want to forget ... I'll just reach over (with my eyes closed) and record it.

That has completely helped my laying awake afraid to forget something.

Now ... if I could get rid of this pain and the insomnia....​

Back
Top Bottom