How long for rooster's crow to mature?

I'd like to know more about this. We have a cute little silkie rooster and I'd love to keep him, but we live in town. Can you post pictures and tell me more? Thankyou ^_^

-Donna

Anyone try my cable tie wrap tip yet?
Joe
hello! i personally have not tried the cable tie wrap. i live in a city where chickens are allowed, but roos arent. My silkie roo started crowing a few days ago...and today at 5 am in the morning he crowed for an hour straight. started from a mediocre crow, and after a few more tries...it sounded almost perfected. I checked to see the time occasionally. My dad placed a yarn necklace around his neck with two bells on it. supposedly its supposed to work. the rooster moves, the bells jingles causing him to react to the foreign object around his neck. todays the first day of the experiment! so ima wait and see if it actually works...

a picture of my silkie roooo right before they go to sleep

hahaaha ignore the bad paint job ;ppp

Last edited:
hello! i personally have not tried the cable tie wrap. i live in a city where chickens are allowed, but roos arent. My silkie roo started crowing a few days ago...and today at 5 am in the morning he crowed for an hour straight. started from a mediocre crow, and after a few more tries...it sounded almost perfected. I checked to see the time occasionally. My dad placed a yarn necklace around his neck with two bells on it. supposedly its supposed to work. the rooster moves, the bells jingles causing him to react to the foreign object around his neck. todays the first day of the experiment! so ima wait and see if it actually works...

a picture of my silkie roooo right before they go to sleep

hahaaha ignore the bad paint job ;ppp
An update, although nobody cares. Embarrassed to say, but this failed miserably. It might have stopped him from trying to agressively rape the hens, but this did nothing to stop his crow. even though i really want to keep him because his character is just so silly.. sad to say he has to go down.

I attempted the zip tie method after a tight fitting sock didn't seem to help. He is still crowing like a champ. I don't mind it but the city I live in recently (as in after I bought my house and moved in) banned roosters. I really want to keep a rooster but I am worried I will get slapped with a huge fine if someone reports me.

Where on the neck did other people place the zip tie and was it successful? I tried to do it low thinking closer to the syrinx the better but maybe i need it to be up higher?

Last edited:
I attempted the zip tie method after a tight fitting sock didn't seem to help. He is still crowing like a champ. I don't mind it but the city I live in recently (as in after I bought my house and moved in) banned roosters. I really want to keep a rooster but I am worried I will get slapped with a huge fine if someone reports me.

Where on the neck did other people place the zip tie and was it successful? I tried to do it low thinking closer to the syrinx the better but maybe i need it to be up higher?
Did you finally find anything to be successful for you? I really need to solve this mess soon! Long story... on different thread. Any info would be appreciated more than ya'll know!!
bow.gif

My "exotic" chick from McMurry's in a June 23rd shipment was a Polish cockerel. Yesterday there was this god-awful noise coming from the brooder side of the chicken coop. I guess he's starting to crow.
lau.gif

If you must stop your rooster from crowing, you may want to try the "no crow" rooster collar. It is not a shock collar but restricts the vocal cords. Far more humane and safe than a zip tie!!! I think the zip tie is an awful idea. It may be best for you to find him a nice farm to live on where he can be a rooster.

I feel sorry for those of you that can't keep a rooster or two. Once you get used to them there is no more pleasant sound than to hear them crowing. In fact, I lost all my chickens to a weasel a couple of years ago and, until I raised up another rooster, really missed the sound. What I can't understand is why they are restricted in areas where a barking dog is allowed? I guess it is just another example of how far we've gotten away from our farming roots--we no longer want to put up with these kinds of inconveniences.

Back
Top Bottom