How long for rooster's crow to mature?

The Fairy Godmartyr

Songster
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
This morning was the first time I heard my roosters crow (well, I may have heard one about a week or so ago, but I'm not sure). This was my last confirmation that my EE that I have been trying to will to be a hen (the hatchery sexed it wrong) is going to need to either find a new home, or a soup pot.
sad.png

I also saw one of my silkies crowing (I already figured out that this one was a rooster--he's rather friendly with the ladies). So far, his crow isn't very loud and he isn't doing it very often. The only reason I heard it today was I was awake earlier than usual and just happened to go out while he was crowing. I can't hear it from in my house. While I have no doubt that I can't keep the EE rooster, I'd like to keep the silkie if he doesn't get too obnoxious.

So my question is, how long does it take for a rooster's crow to mature? I know that they start out quieter than what they will end up being, but how long does it take them to get there? My immediate neighbors are very accepting of my chickens, but I can't have a rooster annoying the whole neighborhood (especially since my mom is a local politician and will kill me if she gets a complaint on my chickens). Does the crow reach its full potential in a matter of weeks? Months?

My silkie rooster is 6mo old. We got him at 4mo and he started crowing the week after we got him. The crow has gotten a little louder but he goes at it non stop in the morning when I let them out, for about a half hour. Then at least once or twice in the afternoon I will hear him crow maybe 10 more times. The neighbors still think he is cool, even after 2 months of crowing.

My EE rooster started crowing at about a month but he sounded like he was being strangled so he quit for a few weeks then started again. Now he's 4.5 months old and you can hear him about a mile away.

We HAD two speckles sussex roosters. The older one started crowing at 3 months, the younger one started at 2 - 2 1/2 months. Then when we knew we definitely had to roo's we gave the older one up and replaced with the hens. So the one we have is now 5 months old and clear as a bell. Has been a nice clear crow for 2 months or so. Didn't take long. Our neighbors never complain. They love the crowing.

Quote:
Hi All,
I cured crowing by putting a tie wrap around our roosters neck. I used a wire tie wrap like electricians or phone guys use, loose at first then a notch or two a day until I found the right degree of restriction. I could still place my finger between the tie wrap and the roosters neck. Worked great.
Joe

We have a Polish rooster who is about five months old and just started crowing a few weeks ago. He's getting better but currently whenever he crows, it scares the girls!
lol.png

Quote:
Hi All,
I cured crowing by putting a tie wrap around our roosters neck. I used a wire tie wrap like electricians or phone guys use, loose at first then a notch or two a day until I found the right degree of restriction. I could still place my finger between the tie wrap and the roosters neck. Worked great.
Joe

Why would I want to cure him of crowing? I love to hear a rooster crow, the louder the better. It means country to me. Just sorry that he is the only one I have, wanted more but my 6 straight run EE's contained only one rooster.
sad.png

Quote:
Hi All,
Joe

Why would I want to cure him of crowing? I love to hear a rooster crow, the louder the better. It means country to me. Just sorry that he is the only one I have, wanted more but my 6 straight run EE's contained only one rooster.
sad.png

I was living in an unincorporated part of Orange County, CA surrounded by cities but I had close-in neighbors on each side, houses 12 ft apart so it was a good compromise.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom