How long from external pip to unzipping?

DizzyDelights

Chirping
Mar 25, 2023
Hi all, first time poster and first time incubating/hatching duck eggs. I’m on day 26, have 5 eggs, three of which have externally pipped and are singing like a little chorus in their shells! The other two are showing no signs of pipping yet but I can see movement inside when candled.
Given how chatty the three pipped eggs are, how long would you expect it to be before I see signs of unzipping? Really don’t want to lose these babies now we’ve gotten this far. Happy to sit and watch them patiently all weekend but don’t want to be watching if I need to be doing something else🤷🏻‍♀️
Temp. Is 99f and humidity is 74%.
Thanks in advance.

Hi all, first time poster and first time incubating/hatching duck eggs. I’m on day 26, have 5 eggs, three of which have externally pipped and are singing like a little chorus in their shells! The other two are showing no signs of pipping yet but I can see movement inside when candled.
Given how chatty the three pipped eggs are, how long would you expect it to be before I see signs of unzipping? Really don’t want to lose these babies now we’ve gotten this far. Happy to sit and watch them patiently all weekend but don’t want to be watching if I need to be doing something else🤷🏻‍♀️
Temp. Is 99f and humidity is 74%.
Thanks in advance.
After external pip it can take up to 48 hours (usually around 24 but there can be Pokey babies that take longer )
How long has it been ?

Around 28 hours for the first, 24 for the second and probably about 20 for the third. The other two haven’t broken through yet but have been very vocal. They have chattered all morning but seem to have all settled for a rest in the last half an hour.

I have my phone set up above them on time lapse recording them so my granddaughter can see it and take it into preschool as they’re learning about new life in spring at the moment - perfect timing 😊
I let schools use my set up and eggs every year
This year I have 4 schools doing it
Right now 3 have started
Such a great experience for the kids
Last year the teacher was able to put her phone on the incubator and hook it up to a program that allowed the whole school to watch the hatch on the smart boards in each class
Parents could watch at home as well

Yay :)
Baby is unzipping
I wouldn’t worry until it’s been 48 hours
At that point you can start sb assist
But I would guess babies will be out before then
Thanks, fingers and toes crossed that all goes smoothly. We started with six eggs but one didn’t even get off the starting block and had to be removed. I’m a little concerned that it’s a couple of days early hatch day should be Monday) but assume that’s probably due to temperature fluctuations, hopefully all the yolk will be absorbed.
New life is amazing!

Thanks, fingers and toes crossed that all goes smoothly. We started with six eggs but one didn’t even get off the starting block and had to be removed. I’m a little concerned that it’s a couple of days early hatch day should be Monday) but assume that’s probably due to temperature fluctuations, hopefully all the yolk will be absorbed.
New life is amazing!
I have had them hatch day 25-30
There are cold and hot spots in the bator
Under mom was day 30
At one school she would bring the eggs home on the weekend and the car ride got them hatching early day 25 ( was told the vibration can start things early )
But all babies were just fine and hatched fully absorbed and healthy
I still have the duck that hatched day 25 and he has never had an issue. Will be one end of may
I calibrate thermometers for inside and have learned to rotate the eggs around the bator to make things more even

Back
Top Bottom