How long from external pip to unzipping?

DizzyDelights

Chirping
Mar 25, 2023
Hi all, first time poster and first time incubating/hatching duck eggs. I’m on day 26, have 5 eggs, three of which have externally pipped and are singing like a little chorus in their shells! The other two are showing no signs of pipping yet but I can see movement inside when candled.
Given how chatty the three pipped eggs are, how long would you expect it to be before I see signs of unzipping? Really don’t want to lose these babies now we’ve gotten this far. Happy to sit and watch them patiently all weekend but don’t want to be watching if I need to be doing something else🤷🏻‍♀️
Temp. Is 99f and humidity is 74%.
Thanks in advance.

Any news on the last 3?
Hi, so sorry for the delay in answering but life has been manic this month! All hatched , final two were on the Monday evening but one was very small. We called them Darkwing (after the cartoon character because our very first duck over 30 yrs ago was called that), Sage, Basil, Dill & Peanut(the tiny one), unfortunately we lost Peanut on day four but the others have all done really well and are now in their big house out in the orchard after spending the first month in the house and garden with us. They’re adorable and will happily curl up with our German shepherd all day.
we’re currently on a waiting list for some khaki Campbells but it might be a few weeks yet.
of the fertile eggs we managed to hatch all of them which Was better than expected, just a shame we lost one. We’ll definitely be doing it again, and I want to hatch chickens too, it’s quite addictive!
Will post pictures over the weekend.

So far we have one new baby who is now in a separate bator as he/she was being an absolute hooligan and refusing to sleep, all calm now and snoozing.
The other four are still biding their time, two are noisy and two don’t look as if they’ve internally pipped.
Here is no1 who we’re calling Darkwing after the Disney cartoon duck, our very first duck 30yrs ago was called Darkwing, she arrived on our doorstep early one evening from who knows where and became best friends with our dog at the time, she sadly died before her time thanks to a fox 😢 Since then we’ve bought Khaki Campbells but decided this year was the year to start hatching our own babies. These eggs were bought and I didn’t ask for a specific breed, just said “surprise me”, so if anyone has any ideas?

Anyway, may I introduce the beautiful ‘Darkwing Duck’ 🥰

Attachments

• 87CA1F94-E297-4A6D-B161-E529AB57EDAE.jpeg
    87CA1F94-E297-4A6D-B161-E529AB57EDAE.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 8
  • 5FF304FA-B75C-4AD0-9012-875DC35D8E9C.jpeg
    5FF304FA-B75C-4AD0-9012-875DC35D8E9C.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 3AF7649E-8D1F-4387-8ECD-1ECEBBA7D56C.jpeg
    3AF7649E-8D1F-4387-8ECD-1ECEBBA7D56C.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2FC111E0-4C77-4139-A546-5ED7FA096482.jpeg
    2FC111E0-4C77-4139-A546-5ED7FA096482.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 8
Around 28 hours for the first, 24 for the second and probably about 20 for the third. The other two haven’t broken through yet but have been very vocal. They have chattered all morning but seem to have all settled for a rest in the last half an hour.

I have my phone set up above them on time lapse recording them so my granddaughter can see it and take it into preschool as they’re learning about new life in spring at the moment - perfect timing 😊
I let schools use my set up and eggs every year
This year I have 4 schools doing it
Right now 3 have started
Such a great experience for the kids
Last year the teacher was able to put her phone on the incubator and hook it up to a program that allowed the whole school to watch the hatch on the smart boards in each class
Parents could watch at home as well

Yay :)
Baby is unzipping
I wouldn’t worry until it’s been 48 hours
At that point you can start sb assist
But I would guess babies will be out before then
Thanks, fingers and toes crossed that all goes smoothly. We started with six eggs but one didn’t even get off the starting block and had to be removed. I’m a little concerned that it’s a couple of days early hatch day should be Monday) but assume that’s probably due to temperature fluctuations, hopefully all the yolk will be absorbed.
New life is amazing!

Thanks, fingers and toes crossed that all goes smoothly. We started with six eggs but one didn’t even get off the starting block and had to be removed. I’m a little concerned that it’s a couple of days early hatch day should be Monday) but assume that’s probably due to temperature fluctuations, hopefully all the yolk will be absorbed.
New life is amazing!
I have had them hatch day 25-30
There are cold and hot spots in the bator
Under mom was day 30
At one school she would bring the eggs home on the weekend and the car ride got them hatching early day 25 ( was told the vibration can start things early )
But all babies were just fine and hatched fully absorbed and healthy
I still have the duck that hatched day 25 and he has never had an issue. Will be one end of may
I calibrate thermometers for inside and have learned to rotate the eggs around the bator to make things more even

I let schools use my set up and eggs every year
This year I have 4 schools doing it
Right now 3 have started
Such a great experience for the kids
Last year the teacher was able to put her phone on the incubator and hook it up to a program that allowed the whole school to watch the hatch on the smart boards in each class
Parents could watch at home as well
Wow! That’s amazing, so good for schools to be able to do that for children who otherwise wouldn’t get the opportunity (and for parents), I live/work on a farm estate , agriculture, not livestock any more, but the estate manager does tours for schools from the cities to show children where food comes from. They cover everything from bread, to bacon.
Letting your equipment out is such an unselfish thing to do 😍

Back
Top Bottom