How long from external pip to unzipping?

I let schools use my set up and eggs every year
This year I have 4 schools doing it
Right now 3 have started
Such a great experience for the kids
Last year the teacher was able to put her phone on the incubator and hook it up to a program that allowed the whole school to watch the hatch on the smart boards in each class
Parents could watch at home as well
Wow! That’s amazing, so good for schools to be able to do that for children who otherwise wouldn’t get the opportunity (and for parents), I live/work on a farm estate , agriculture, not livestock any more, but the estate manager does tours for schools from the cities to show children where food comes from. They cover everything from bread, to bacon.
Letting your equipment out is such an unselfish thing to do 😍

Wow! That’s amazing, so good for schools to be able to do that for children who otherwise wouldn’t get the opportunity (and for parents), I live/work on a farm estate , agriculture, not livestock any more, but the estate manager does tours for schools from the cities to show children where food comes from. They cover everything from bread, to bacon.
Letting your equipment out is such an unselfish thing to do 😍
It’s very rewarding to see how excited they get
I’m very hands on and help the teachers through the process as well

That’s a very important thing that they learn
Where food comes from and how hard farmers work to get it

I have had them hatch day 25-30
There are cold and hot spots in the bator
Under mom was day 30
At one school she would bring the eggs home on the weekend and the car ride got them hatching early day 25 ( was told the vibration can start things early )
But all babies were just fine and hatched fully absorbed and healthy
I still have the duck that hatched day 25 and he has never had an issue. Will be one end of may
I calibrate thermometers for inside and have learned to rotate the eggs around the bator to make things more even
I currently have two extra thermometers as I wasn’t sure I could trust the bator, all three are different but one is very close to the bator and that’s the one I trust. I have a hygrometer in there too which is extra just to be sure. I realised last week that it would probably be a good idea to move the eggs around so they all get the warmest spot, probably a little late for this lot but a lesson learned for the future.
I suppose movement bringing on hatching is a little like us and exercise when we’re due to give birth.

This little one is almost all the way out!!!

I currently have two extra thermometers as I wasn’t sure I could trust the bator, all three are different but one is very close to the bator and that’s the one I trust. I have a hygrometer in there too which is extra just to be sure. I realised last week that it would probably be a good idea to move the eggs around so they all get the warmest spot, probably a little late for this lot but a lesson learned for the future.
I suppose movement bringing on hatching is a little like us and exercise when we’re due to give birth.

This little one is almost all the way out!!!
Go baby go :)

It’s very rewarding to see how excited they get
I’m very hands on and help the teachers through the process as well

That’s a very important thing that they learn
Where food comes from and how hard farmers work to get it
I bet it is, starting children young on the road to understanding is so important, and that’s also when they’re most likely to get excited about it.

So far we have one new baby who is now in a separate bator as he/she was being an absolute hooligan and refusing to sleep, all calm now and snoozing.
The other four are still biding their time, two are noisy and two don’t look as if they’ve internally pipped.
Here is no1 who we’re calling Darkwing after the Disney cartoon duck, our very first duck 30yrs ago was called Darkwing, she arrived on our doorstep early one evening from who knows where and became best friends with our dog at the time, she sadly died before her time thanks to a fox 😢 Since then we’ve bought Khaki Campbells but decided this year was the year to start hatching our own babies. These eggs were bought and I didn’t ask for a specific breed, just said “surprise me”, so if anyone has any ideas?

Anyway, may I introduce the beautiful ‘Darkwing Duck’ 🥰

Attachments

• 87CA1F94-E297-4A6D-B161-E529AB57EDAE.jpeg
    87CA1F94-E297-4A6D-B161-E529AB57EDAE.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 8
  • 5FF304FA-B75C-4AD0-9012-875DC35D8E9C.jpeg
    5FF304FA-B75C-4AD0-9012-875DC35D8E9C.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 3AF7649E-8D1F-4387-8ECD-1ECEBBA7D56C.jpeg
    3AF7649E-8D1F-4387-8ECD-1ECEBBA7D56C.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2FC111E0-4C77-4139-A546-5ED7FA096482.jpeg
    2FC111E0-4C77-4139-A546-5ED7FA096482.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 8
Oh, forgot! She came out of the egg and kicked the shell away before rampaging around the bator, but I noticed what I assume to be yolk left in the shell, I’ve put this in the other bator with her and she immediately stuck her head in, took a nibble then walked away, it’s still in there with her but she’s sleeping so not taking any interest. Will she go back to it later or should I remove it? Thanks 🥰

Attachments

• 8A7A505D-CFD4-407C-B973-54E658658B80.jpeg
    8A7A505D-CFD4-407C-B973-54E658658B80.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 8
Oh, forgot! She came out of the egg and kicked the shell away before rampaging around the bator, but I noticed what I assume to be yolk left in the shell, I’ve put this in the other bator with her and she immediately stuck her head in, took a nibble then walked away, it’s still in there with her but she’s sleeping so not taking any interest. Will she go back to it later or should I remove it? Thanks 🥰
That is the egg goo
They don’t usually eat that
I bet she / he will be eating and drinking in no time if it’s already looking around 😆
Could be pekin they are all yellow with orange beak and feet when born
There are a few other breads like that as well

That is the egg goo
They don’t usually eat that
I bet she / he will be eating and drinking in no time if it’s already looking around 😆
Could be pekin they are all yellow with orange beak and feet when born
There are a few other breads like that as well
I’ll bin it then, thanks.
I was thinking Pekin

Back
Top Bottom