How long from pip to hatch? Help

RussianChickens

Songster
9 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Michigan (USA)
I have once chick who pipped externally late last night. Now tonight he peeps and wiggles around but has made no progress getting the shell off.

Should I assist in opening the top of the shell for him? Or wait another 12 hours till morning? I'm afraid of him drying out. It's hard to keep the humidity right at it goes way up and way down very quickly

Thanks

I've only hatched once but I'd wait. I had two pip and take around 12 hours and some pip to walking in an hour.

I would keep the humidity higher if I could. I was at 85% average during lock down and hatch with no problems. Water isn't going to re enter the shell and drown them, just takes longer to fluff up but prevents drying

Last edited:
The humidity was down at 30% when he pipped, that's why I'm worried maybe he's already dried in. I had that happen before :S I'm trying to keep it up but it goes up to 80 and down to 30 again within 3 hours.

If the egg has been pipped 24 hours and it still can't get out then I would definitely help it. Just start slowly to unzipp the egg yourself. It sounds to me like he has dried out in the shell and can't turn to unzip. Stop at the first sign of fresh blood. Let us know how it goes.
hmm.png

He is in there, There was some blood but it is not near as bright as the photo shows. Never the less he isn't ready to come out just yet. Do you guys think the hole is correct for him to get out on his own now?
He is resting in the incubator but is peeping more. I'm trying to keep humdity at 80% but when i go to bed it will be back at 30 again in just a few hours :S

If you are having issues keeping your humidity stable, you might want to add a few pieces of damp sponge. That little one is definitely not ready to hatch yet. Just be patient and let him rest. He can breathe, he can live off the yolk sack for days, and he's warm. He should be fine.

If you are having issues keeping your humidity stable, you might want to add a few pieces of damp sponge. That little one is definitely not ready to hatch yet. Just be patient and let him rest. He can breathe, he can live off the yolk sack for days, and he's warm. He should be fine.
+1. Putting a bowl of water with a sponge sticking out of it in the incubator will keep the humidity up for extended periods of time.

Back
Top Bottom