How long in the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamaKate, Nov 9, 2009.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    My 8 mo. old RIR goes in about 8:30 and usually stays for about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Is this ok? She lays at least 6 eggs a week.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    As long as you are getting eggs, I'm sure that hour and a half is worth it! [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Agreed!

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hi!
    perhaps she is hoping an egg will turn into a baby chick? [​IMG]

5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    My uncle harold used to take his newspaper in the bathroom and stay there for sometimes 1 1/2 hours. Maybe your chicken is just taking a break like my uncle harold did. But, if your chicken is producing 6 eggs a week she is being more productive than uncle harold was. Sounds like she's doing just fine.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    That would work for me. As long as they appear to be healthy, eat and drink ok and make good eggs, they can sit in there all day for my money. I do have one broody gold comet. Don't care. She just wants to be a mama more than the others do. She lays her eggs too and eventually leaves. Have caught her trying to keep 4 eggs and a golf ball warm. I put all the golf balls in one nest to see if she would fall for that, but she did not. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by