How long is a heat lamp needed for baby chicks?

mommachick5

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
Ohio
We have our baby chicks inside and have a heat lamp on them also - the house is warm and comfortable -

1) how long do we need the heat lamp on them? It seems pretty warm, maybe too warm? What temperature is too hot for them?

I am thinking of building the chicken wire cave with a heating pad- if I do, will the still also need the heat lamp or does that take its place.

2) When are the ready to go outside? What low temperature is safe (we are in Ohio and lows are 20 degrees right now) We bought Rhode Island Reds and Sex Link (??- they are black) which are supposed to both be hardy and good for colder climates.

With a heat lamp you generally start at 85-90 degrees the first week, than lower it by 5 degrees a week by raising the light or lowering the wattage until you are at ambient temperatures. So when you reach the house temperatures you don't need extra heat.

The process would need to be started again outside if it's cooler than the house. I generally move the heat lamp to the coop or pen and continue the acclimating process. I unplug it here and there and slowly wean them off extra heat.

With a heat lamp you generally start at 85-90 degrees the first week, than lower it by 5 degrees a week by raising the light or lowering the wattage until you are at ambient temperatures. So when you reach the house temperatures you don't need extra heat.

The process would need to be started again outside if it's cooler than the house. I generally move the heat lamp to the coop or pen and continue the acclimating process. I unplug it here and there and slowly wean them off extra heat.

Back
Top Bottom