How long is fridge jam good for?

Red Horse

Songster
May 16, 2022
I made some blackberry fridge jam at the end of August and thought we used it all... I had originally planned to can it but ended up having to leave and just put the cooked jam in the fridge. I found another totally unused container of it wayyy up in the back of my extra fridge's shelf where you have to crane your neck to see. Think it's still OK to eat? I'd love to put it in some linzer cookies.

I made some blackberry fridge jam at the end of August and thought we used it all... I had originally planned to can it but ended up having to leave and just put the cooked jam in the fridge. I found another totally unused container of it wayyy up in the back of my extra fridge's shelf where you have to crane your neck to see. Think it's still OK to eat? I'd love to put it in some linzer cookies.
I would think it would still be good from august till now. The sugar acts as a preservative. If it doesn't smell bad, it's not discolored and there is no mold then I'd say ok to use.

Open it up, look at it... jam that has gone bad is usually very obviously bad (moldy, discolored). Sugar works well as a preservative, though I find climate to be a factor in how well jams hold up too.

I usually freeze my homemade jams (since I just cook and jar, no canning) and just thaw a day before using, then you can easily keep them a year or more that way.

Back
Top Bottom