How long of a wait for egg consumption after 4 day treatment on Tetroxy 250 antibiotic treatment?

JennySue

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2017
St. Louis
My 6 month old rooster came down with a nasty respritory infection last weekend so I put the entire flock on 800 mg dose of Tetroxy 240 from my vet. He jumped right back and the girls are all good with no problems, so I took them back off the antibiotics yesterday. How long until we can eat the eggs? I'm getting lots of mixed answers. Thanks!

Hi @JennySue :frow Welcome To BYC

Since this was prescribed by your vet, they should be able to give you a "concrete" answer.

Withdrawal periods can be all over the place - if your vet can't give you an answer - you will need to do some research/reading to find a timeline that you feel comfortable with - a lot depends on whether the eggs are for personal consumption or if you are selling eggs as well.
http://www.farad.org/publications/digests/122015EggResidue.pdf
https://www.drugs.com/vet/tetroxy-hca-280.html

the url
RESIDUE WARNING:

Do not feed to birds producing eggs for human consumption. Discontinue treatment of chickens, turkeys and swine 0 days prior to slaughter.
PRECAUTION: Use as sole source of oxytetracycline. Not to be used for more than 14 consecutive days in chickens and turkeys or 5 consecutive days in swine.
1399061_arrow_right_03.png

RECOMMENDED PACKET STORAGE CONDITIONS: Store below 77°F (25°C)

IT LOOKS LIKE THEY NEVER GET OVER THE RESIDUE FROM IT???

Last edited:
here is the top url listed above
In recent years, backyard poultry flocks have become increasingly popular in urban areas throughout the United States. Results of a 2010 USDA study1 of 4 US cities (Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, and New York) indicated that 1% of households surveyed owned chickens and another 4% of households surveyed were planning on owning chickens within the next 5 years. The increase in the number of small poultry flocks in urban areas has led to an increase in the demand for veterinary services for those flocks, and veterinarians whose clientele is usually limited to companion animals now find themselves treating these food animals and shouldering the responsibilities that come with that. Numerous challenges are associated with the treatment of backyard poultry flocks. There are a limited number of drugs approved for use in laying hens in the United States, and the few drugs that are approved were designed for administration to birds in large commercial operations, which makes their administration to individual birds or a small number of birds tedious. Consequently, veterinarians often end up administering drugs to backyard poultry in an extralabel manner. Unfortunately, the extralabel use of most of those medications is hindered by the availability of only a limited number of pharmacokinetic studies on drug residues in eggs. This is compounded by the fact that owners of backyard poultry flocks are likely to consider their birds pets and are agreeable to or demand more complex treatment regimens than those traditionally used in commercial flocks. The purpose of the digest reported here is to provide veterinarians with summary background information on appropriate drug use in modern backyard poultry flocks. A more in-depth guide2 is available elsewhere

this is on BYC
upperadamschick posted
sick chickens and tetroxy HCA-280
5-2010
My local feed and seed suggested I use tetroxy HCA-280 to treat what seems to be a respiratory illness. Question is that the residue warning states do NOT use in egg laying chickens. So, how long after I stop using the drug can I safely eat the eggs again?

horsefeathersNV
Is there a number on the bottle you can call and ask? I have not used this med before, but I would not eat the eggs for two weeks at least. Giving you a bump - maybe someone else knows and will see this. Post just move so fast here.
smile.png

SpeckledHen who has almost 75,000 post said
No antibiotics are approved to use with egglaying chickens or chickens destined for the stew pot. Can't help you with your question, though. I refuse to treat respiratory illness due to the nature of most diseases being like a herpes type virus (makes them Typhoid Marys). I'm not familiar with that exact medication, but if its Terramycin, then it's not strong enough to use for much of anything. And you can't treat a virus with an antibiotic, if that's what they have. Treating birds blindly isn't a good thing to do.

SO SURELY YOUR VET WHO PERSCRIBED THE MKEDICATION CAN HELP YOU OUT

FROM MY PET CHICKEN
Starting January 1, you will only be able to purchase this product through a veterinarian! We have put our remaining Tetroxy HCA on "final clearance" sale.

Oxytetracyclene is a broad spectrum, highly concentrated antibiotic powder for administration in the drinking water of chickens. Indications for chickens: for control of infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae; chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sac infections caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli; control of fowl cholera caused by Pasturella multocida, susceptable to tetracyclene.

9.87 oz size is sufficient to medicate 128-512 gallons of water, depending on the recommended dosage. Mix fresh solution daily and use as the sole source of drinking water. Administer 7 to 14 days to chickens. The drug manufacturer warns to not use this product in birds producing eggs for human consumption, but most veterinarians will tell you to withdraw eggs during treatment and 10 days after treatment; please consult your doctor or veterinarian before making any decisions.

Also please consider offering your chickens this probiotic product after treatment with this antibiotic. Not only will it help their immune and digestive systems bounce back, but it is shown to prevent bacterial infection in the first place!
ttps://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/products/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1188&

Bimeda, Inc. Tetroxy HCA Soluble Powder (Oxytetracycline HCl) ANADA 200-144, Approved by FDA
MIXING INSTRUCTIONS FOR WATER MEDICATION

CHICKENS - TURKEYS - SWINE

DOSAGE AND INDICATIONS FOR USE IN WATER PROPORTIONERS - Add the following amount to one gallon of stock solution when proportioner is set to meter at the rate of one ounce per gallon.

Chickens: Disease Treatment Level Packs/Gal. Stock Sol.

Control of infectious caused by Mycoplasma synoviae, 200-400 mg 1/4-1/2 (70-140 g)
susceptible to oxytetracycline

Control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sac infectious
caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli, susceptible to oxytetracycline. 400-800 mg 1/2-1 (140-280 g)

Control of fowl cholera caused by Pasteurella multocida, susceptible to oxytetracycline. 400-800 mg 1/2-1 (140-280
https://www.drugs.com/pro/tetroxy-hca.html

Bimeda, Inc. Tetroxy HCA Soluble Powder (Oxytetracycline HCl) ANADA 200-144, Approved by FDA

Thank you so much!! This helped out a lot! I was in urgent need as my roo was dying in my basement and we have no vets who treat chickens around here. I treated my roo and hens for just 3-4 days with the exception of the hens having access to one more water jug since they weren't sick. I do not sell my eggs, so after reading this I think we will be safe to eat the eggs in two weeks! I did not go the full dosage period of 14 days. What a waste of eggs but I would rather have my flock alive and healthy! Another question I have is that most have recommended feeding the cooked eggs to the chickens in the meantime but wouldn't that be passing the antibiotics back through their systems again? Thanks for the responses!

this is on BYC
upperadamschick posted
sick chickens and tetroxy HCA-280
5-2010
My local feed and seed suggested I use tetroxy HCA-280 to treat what seems to be a respiratory illness. Question is that the residue warning states do NOT use in egg laying chickens. So, how long after I stop using the drug can I safely eat the eggs again?

horsefeathersNV
Is there a number on the bottle you can call and ask? I have not used this med before, but I would not eat the eggs for two weeks at least. Giving you a bump - maybe someone else knows and will see this. Post just move so fast here.
smile.png

SpeckledHen who has almost 75,000 post said
No antibiotics are approved to use with egglaying chickens or chickens destined for the stew pot. Can't help you with your question, though. I refuse to treat respiratory illness due to the nature of most diseases being like a herpes type virus (makes them Typhoid Marys). I'm not familiar with that exact medication, but if its Terramycin, then it's not strong enough to use for much of anything. And you can't treat a virus with an antibiotic, if that's what they have. Treating birds blindly isn't a good thing to do.

SO SURELY YOUR VET WHO PERSCRIBED THE MKEDICATION CAN HELP YOU OUT
My vet doesn't do chickens but it amazing enough to have had some meds for me, he said to do research before eating the eggs bc he was unsure. The instructions on the bag are what are listed here.

Back
Top Bottom