1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long should chickens be kept off of fresh grass seed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TXchickmum, Oct 17, 2012.

1. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We are going to seed Elbon Rye in the back lawn today so the chickens will have greenery to eat during the cold months. How long should they be kept in the run and off of the fresh seed?

2. highwayhens

highwayhens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Is your main concern the seed or the chickens? I'm assuming that your main concern is if the seed will affect the chickens. Does the seed have fertilizer mixed into it? If you bought the bags of seed yourself, perhaps read the instructions to see when it's safe for "pets" or call the company.

3. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -no fertilizer mixed in. -purchased it from a local mill (been in business since 1939) that sells nothing but seed/feed. -no labeling at all on the bag. -suppose I will call them to find out recommendations. My concern is with the chickens eating the seeds before they have time to root/sprout and if the seeds are harmful if ingested in certain quantities.

4. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    hmmm good q i need to start doin this instead of letting them destroyin it i dont know the exact time but i guess take em off when i starts to look a little yella or thin in spots?

5. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Make frames of 2x2's attach 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth. Put this frame over your newly planted grass. The chickens will be able to eat the grass but not tear up the roots and kill it. :)

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I planted some last year & they ate some seeds. It came up & they ate some grass but not that much. This year I planted crimson clover. Again, they ate some seeds & its coming up. I love crimson clover its a beautiful cover crop.

7. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Thanks for the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by