How long should Demoniques lay

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
I only have 2 domonique hens and 6 white leghorns. they are all about 4-5 years old now. My domoniques have not laid in 6 weeks and my white leghorns are laying only 1-2 a day. can I stop feeding expensive laying feed now and maybe just feed them scratch? Looks like they are just going to become pets soon!!

They're past their prime egg laying age (2-3) but will still continue to lay until they are around eight years old. The approaching winter months will also cut of the remaining layers (unless you have lights in the coop).

Just scratch isn't that great for a chickens diet. I'd switch them to All Flock Raiser.

Days are growing shorter, even further south, so if you're not supplementing light you're doing well to still be getting eggs. They'll resume laying in spring but expect lower egg production as they're all getting older.

Scratch is a chicken treat, not nutritionally balanced food - better to switch to a food with more protein and less calcium while they're not laying.

Love the Dominiques! My 8 y.o. Dom hen, Vashti, laid a few eggs this spring then retired from this year's laying and hasn't laid since. I'm actually glad because she has arthritis and is really slowing down. My girls are pure pets, too.

Back
Top Bottom