How long should I give my eggs to hatch after the scheduled hatch date??

I recommend you all calibrate your thermometers and hygrometers before every single hatch. It really helps when you're sure that stuff is right
1f60a.png

it seems that most chicks that don't hatch by day 23, for whatever reason, really won't do well anyway.
any chicks that we have had to straggled in late, seem to have curled toes, or something odd about them.

so even if they "can" hatch, you might not want them anyway.

I had a bantam who hatched on day 26. The cutest silkie cross beautiful Li'l baby. The others hatched on day 23.

well i am in the same boat. i started with 12 eggs. one didnt develop like the rest by day 10 so we tossed it. i have kept an eye on the rest and when i candled them they had nice movement and very nice veins. i am on day 22 and had 5 eggs moving as of 10:30 pm last night. i have one that has almost turned its self 180 degrees. the others really are not moving much. i know you shouldnt candle them now so i wait. my temp has stayed between 99.3 and 99.9 for the full 21 days. i see them move but no pipping or peeps. continue to wait????

well i am in the same boat. i started with 12 eggs. one didnt develop like the rest by day 10 so we tossed it. i have kept an eye on the rest and when i candled them they had nice movement and very nice veins. i am on day 22 and had 5 eggs moving as of 10:30 pm last night. i have one that has almost turned its self 180 degrees. the others really are not moving much. i know you shouldnt candle them now so i wait. my temp has stayed between 99.3 and 99.9 for the full 21 days. i see them move but no pipping or peeps. continue to wait????

Definitely! That tempereature is a little on the lowish side. They may take a day or even two longer to hatch.

I thought I read that some chicken breeds may take longer to hatch. Just wondering if anyone knows which breeds take longer?

I'm on day 20 with no pipping seen or peeping heard. My other hatches have all been on time with some of the action starting on day 20. This is my first time with orpington eggs. They were also shipped, so would that cause a delay? (or just a poor hatch rate?)

Im having the same problem. 8 eggs, 5 hatched, 3 left. One appears to still be alive. Its 23 today. I don't have the heart to look at the dead ones. This is also my first batch. We don't have a rooster so I have to get them from a friend who we gave the rooster. I had one born with splayed legs. I googled and took the advice and she seems to be doing good now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching you are at the CANDLE tap stage..... PLEASE READ THE ABOVE ARTICLE BEFORE YOU TRY TO ASSIST HATCHING.....
[SIZE=36pt]CANDLE & Tap![/SIZE]​
[SIZE=18pt]Candle and look for an internal pip. Pencil mark the air cell,[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=18pt][COLOR=333333]Below is what an internal pip it looks like.
The beak is thrust through the inner membrane into the air cell.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Tap with your fingernail GENTLY on the air cell and hold to your ear, Can you hear a peep?
Hello today is day 21 for me, my broody Pekin bantam has 6 eggs underneath I went to check on them this morning and nothing had hatched no movement not piping so I decided to candel some and all off them had clear movement inside but no signs of braking through the sack. I was worried at the start but seeing that there is clear movement is a relief. Should I be worried or do something? Thank you

Hello it is day 23 under my broody hen and still no hatch, I have 6 eggs under her I have taken some out to candel them and I can see clear movement. Are they going to hatch!!??

Back
Top Bottom