How long should I keep it up?

stephanier756

In the Brooder
May 5, 2017
Arkansas
My little chick is now almost 2 weeks old. She has had a hard life so far. From the get go she has favored her left leg, she has been pretty wobbly, that progressed into curled toes (gave her electrolytes with vitamins which have helped with the curled toes) a few days later she was doing the splits and obviously couldn't walk. I splinted her legs for splayed legs and she can stand now but keeps one leg slightly behind the other and has a real hard time getting around. I guess my question is how long should I leave the splint on (going on day 5) and what do I do if her legs go back to the splits?
As it is I get up every couple of hours to make sure that she is eating, and to put her upright again.

So sorry! You can continue with the vitamins and splinting a bit longer, or remove the splint and see if she can continue to improve without it. She may have issues that can't be fixed; not every hatchling is normal and can survive. Mary

I just don't want to give up to soon, I will give her a little longer then take off the splint and see what happens. I just don't know if I can put her down.
Thanks for your advice.

I don't really know, but I'd think it would be a good idea to remove the splint each day or two and reapply to adjust for growth. I gather she has some type of bedding that she can get grip on, so her issue doesn't worsen?
I did replace it after three days and have her on a puppy pee pad with pine shavings. I had her on some rubber shelf liner but she seemed to have a harder time on that.
Bless her heart she just cheeps all day long and I don't know what else to do.

I took her splint off today and all she can do is hop around in circles. It makes me so sad for her.
Even with the splint on she could only do circles, but at least she wasn't doing the splits.
Guess I will see what happens.

I had a chick with scissor beak that I couldn't bear to put down. She did okay for almost 8 weeks but ended up starving to death and suffering in the end. Nobody can tell you the right thing to do over the internet. Your gut will tell you whether this chick is viable or not. I suspected mine wouldn't ever thrive but was convinced otherwise by well meaning individuals. I'm not suggesting you should cull the chick-there is no way for me to know whether that is the right decision. I'm only suggesting that you listen to your gut-either way. These are difficult decisions, no doubt. Best of luck to you. Believe me, I understand.

others may have a different experience but every chick I've seen that developed leg problems never really recovered. it seems that you have a short window to correct the issue otherwise the gate change tends to become permanent and then they start developing secondary issues from straining to get around. putting a bird down isn't always about being lazy, sometimes it's just the most humane thing to do in the long run. good luck with your efforts!

Back
Top Bottom