How long till hens start to produce full sized eggs? 4 weeks into laying -- getting Pewee eggs for the most part (around 40 grams)

americanchickens

Hatching
Oct 17, 2020
Weve got 25 Amerecauna hens. Had a few large-XL sized eggs, but only a handful. Im wondering how long till most hens start to produce their full sized eggs?

Whigru

Chirping
May 7, 2020
Minnesota
I’ve posed this question before because I have two laying right now (RIR going into her 3rd month and ISA brown going into 2nd month of laying) and my eggs are still all around 50g each. The ISA eggs are slightly larger than the RIR. Not much has changed in their sizes since the first few. Others have posted that it depends on the bird but that they likely will get bigger, though I haven’t seen that happen much with mine so far.

Sally PB

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Mine have been laying about 2.5 months. I had three double yolks in the 65 gram range in the first month. Now they are about 48-51 grams, from three BA pullets. I'm hoping they get bigger too, but that might not happen until next spring. I just accept each one as a special gift. Thanks, girls. :)

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
They may not hit full size until 2nd year, but should gradually get larger over the next few weeks/months.

My current pullets are pretty tiny so their eggs are scaled down as well.

Top Bottom