How long to continue scaly leg mite treatment?

Would it help to isolate the chickens that I can see have scaly leg mites? Or do you think that it's already spread to all the rest of them? I've already given all the chickens ivermectin and I put petroleum jelly on the chickens that have raised scales.
What you're doing will only treat the symptoms and won't get rid of it.Any eggs that hatch can be easily spread to other chickens on the roost or coop

Would it help to isolate the chickens that I can see have scaly leg mites? Or do you think that it's already spread to all the rest of them? I've already given all the chickens ivermectin and I put petroleum jelly on the chickens that have raised scales.
I never culled or isolated any of my birds. Backyard chicken keepers usually prefer to repeat treatment and keep it under control rather than try to eradicate it which is difficult

I'd leave them together.
Did the birds have mites other than on the legs?
No, I checked. When I was inspecting the birds. I found that all or my EEs have at least some raised scales, tow of my barred rock mixes have the same thing, 1 barred rock mix has a lot worse of a infestation, 3 other hens look like they might be beginning to have signs of SLM but not sure yet, but my black feather legged rooster has the worst out of all. But none have any mites anyway else.

I'm just going to copy and paste a post I made on another thread where the matter of scaly leg mite cropped up.

"I've dealt with a lot of Scaly Leg Mite. I've been writing about it on this thread recently. Henry has it. He's had it most of his life. His daughter Matilda had it. His daughter Mow has it. None mentioned have dropped dead, or gone off their food.
I had quite a few birds in Catalonia that were susceptible to SLM; none died, ate less or even looked depressed about the problem.
I had birds in Hertfordshire that also seemed to be susceptible to SLM. None went off their food and none died.

All the birds that had SLM lived with roosted with, mated with and bathed with other birds who didn't have SLM. Not once did any of the non SLM birds catch SLM.

It seems from my experiences at least that it is a genetic problem, some birds are susceptible to it while others are not, irrespective of the contact with infected birds.

The advice to isolate and even kill infected birds is just plain ludicrous but many of the medical texts advise isolation for just about any health problem. Isolation from the group is often the worst thing one can do. The bird gets stressed and the stress slows and in some case prevents full recovery.

The same unhelpfull expert advice regarding Ivermectin is trotted out over and over again despite the obvious problem. For Ivermectin to work the mite has to feed on the bird. The bird isn't overly concerned with mites wandering around on their body; it's the mite biting and feeding that's the problem.
Ideally what one wants and what the bird wants is to kill the mite before it feeds. It's why Permethrin is a better solution to mites than Ivermectin; it kills the live mites without the necessity of the mite feeding. Unfortunately niether chemical deals with the eggs so treatment will be ongoing. With Ivermectin and a laying hen, if one takes the withdrawral advice one might not be able to eat the eggs from the treated bird for months.

The fastest way to deal with SLM is to drown them in surgical spirit, rubbing alcohol for the Americans. One needs to keep the legs submerged for a couple of minutes. Anything that can be applied to the legs and feet of the bird that will stay in place and suffocate the mites will work. Most experienced chicken keepers know this. I have used various things but a mixture of iodine which is anti fungal and antiseptic and Vaseline works well provided one gets adequated coverage. The problem is it's all a bit messy and requires lenghty handling of the bird which many keepers are uncomfortable with or unable to do.

The next problem is many keepers do not understand that the scales will not return to normal and because the lifted scales don't return to their normal position they assume the mites haven't been killed. The scales don't return to normal until the bird sheds the old scales and grows in new. Mow is currently growing in new scales on the patches the old scales have either fallen off or been picked off.

Isolation, Ivermectin and killing the bird is just bonkers. Using Ivermectin on a particulary bad case makes sense if a smothering/drowning treatment is used in conjuction."
What kind/breeds of chickens are more likely to have scaly leg mites? From what you've observed This is interesting.

What kind/breeds of chickens are more likely to have scaly leg mites? From what you've observed This is interesting.
I don't know. It doesn't seem to be a case of breed. I've had Bantams where the problem arose every other generation on the male side only. I've had Black Minorcans where some hens got it and some didn't but I didn't know the parentage so couldn't follow the genetics. I've had Marans Bantam crosses where only the males got it and not all of them. I've got Light Sussex now where both males and females seem to be prone to it. The senior rooster has had it all his life. I get it under control but never completely eradicated and then the next year we start all over again.
The odd thing is, all these birds lived with others and the others stayed uninfected despite living in the same coops and this was over years.

I don't know. It doesn't seem to be a case of breed. I've had Bantams where the problem arose every other generation on the male side only. I've had Black Minorcans where some hens got it and some didn't but I didn't know the parentage so couldn't follow the genetics. I've had Marans Bantam crosses where only the males got it and not all of them. I've got Light Sussex now where both males and females seem to be prone to it. The senior rooster has had it all his life. I get it under control but never completely eradicated and then the next year we start all over again.
The odd thing is, all these birds lived with others and the others stayed uninfected despite living in the same coops and this was over years.
I have some old hens that have never had a problem with the leg mites now that you mention this. I just thought that it was good luck but maybe it's something else they have lived with chickens that had the scaly leg mites for years. I have nothing that a lot more of a percentage of the roosters have it than the hens. And now that I am looking at it all the EEs that have them are from the same batch and all the barred rock mixs that have them are related. Interesting. I'm going to have to keep track of this. 🙂

I have silkies who are prone to SLM and in nearly 8 years, they've gotten them 3 times. They free range under wild bird feeders where wild birds, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. feed, so they are exposed to mites/lice daily, yet, these SLM are the only ones they get. I've been faithful all these years with using FG DE in the coop, so that's keeping all the other mites and lice gone, but not the SLM. We'll be good for several years in between without doing anything else to the coop, so I don't know if the DE is actually doing something and I need to be more consistent, but regardless, they are free of them for years in between episodes without doing anything else.

The first two times, I only had 6-7 silkies, so hubby and I went out at night in the coop and slathered their legs and feed with Vaseline. We did that every other night for 3 times. That did the trick each time, but took months for their feet to return to normal.

The third time was a couple of months ago. I now had 14 silkies and looked for another method as I didn't feel like slathering 28 feathery feet. I found out the 5% Ivermectin Pour On would work, and figured out the dosage to be 2 eyedropper drops on the back of their neck, with feathers spread so it hit their skin. We repeated this 10 days later. As I said, that was a couple of months ago. Their feet are so much better, but still not totally back to normal yet.

Regardless of the method, it takes a few months for their feet and legs to return to normal.

I have some old hens that have never had a problem with the leg mites now that you mention this. I just thought that it was good luck but maybe it's something else they have lived with chickens that had the scaly leg mites for years. I have nothing that a lot more of a percentage of the roosters have it than the hens. And now that I am looking at it all the EEs that have them are from the same batch and all the barred rock mixs that have them are related. Interesting. I'm going to have to keep track of this. 🙂

Same here
Odd isn't it. It seems reasonable for chickens to have a predisposition to certain health problem much like other species. It's also worth bearing in mind that much of the medical advice regarding chickens is aimed at the commercial sector where it's easier to cull than treat.

I have silkies who are prone to SLM and in nearly 8 years, they've gotten them 3 times. They free range under wild bird feeders where wild birds, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. feed, so they are exposed to mites/lice daily, yet, these SLM are the only ones they get. I've been faithful all these years with using FG DE in the coop, so that's keeping all the other mites and lice gone, but not the SLM. We'll be good for several years in between without doing anything else to the coop, so I don't know if the DE is actually doing something and I need to be more consistent, but regardless, they are free of them for years in between episodes without doing anything else.

The first two times, I only had 6-7 silkies, so hubby and I went out at night in the coop and slathered their legs and feed with Vaseline. We did that every other night for 3 times. That did the trick each time, but took months for their feet to return to normal.

The third time was a couple of months ago. I now had 14 silkies and looked for another method as I didn't feel like slathering 28 feathery feet. I found out the 5% Ivermectin Pour On would work, and figured out the dosage to be 2 eyedropper drops on the back of their neck, with feathers spread so it hit their skin. We repeated this 10 days later. As I said, that was a couple of months ago. Their feet are so much better, but still not totally back to normal yet.

Regardless of the method, it takes a few months for their feet and legs to return to normal.
Once they molt they'll grow new feathers and scales .They may look a mess until then

Back
Top Bottom