How long to feed chicks?

dominiker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
How long should I feed my chicks chick feed,and what temp should I keep my chicks because I had a 100 watt buld on mine and one
was dead this morning in their cage?

Offer food and water 24/7 for the babies. You should try to get one of those large red heat lamps. If the chicks are huddling together, they're too cold.

Quote:
Are you asking how long week wise? If so you should feed them chick starter untill 17 to 18 wks, then start them on layer. I use a 100 watt red bulb. If you have mesh cover on brooder cover other half that is open with cardboard or a lid to retain the heat.

The death could be totally unrelated. However, do keep a thermometer in the brooder, preferably close to or under where the lamp light hits. It's very important to offer close to the correct temps.

The lady at the feed store today told me 12 weeks, so I got the 50 lb bag. We started with a 5 lb bag that lasted about 10 days for the 8 chicks. I imagine they will eat more as they grow.

gonzo&hispeeps :

Offer food and water 24/7 for the babies. You should try to get one of those large red heat lamps. If the chicks are huddling together, they're too cold.

I bought a 250 watt red buld and it was way to hot!​

Quote:
Are you asking how long week wise? If so you should feed them chick starter untill 17 to 18 wks, then start them on layer. I use a 100 watt red bulb. If you have mesh cover on brooder cover other half that is open with cardboard or a lid to retain the heat.

Can I put chicken wire on it,because my box just has the top open with a light above it,and will the light make the wire too hot?

Back
Top Bottom