How long to give them? Bator eggs.

I've assisted a lot of shrink wrapped chicks, and I use water all the time. Glad you got home in time to help it.

Thank you! It still has some residue on it so it's not 'fluffed' like the other chicks. Anything I can do to help with That?

I don't have anymore eggs pipping at the moment either.

I'm surprised that at 72% humidity the eggs were shrink wrapped. I've read that ideal humidity is 65-68% and temp 100 F for a circulated incubator and 102 F for still air. But those settings are for hovabators which yours doesn't seem to be. What you did up to day 18 is usually what I've read though. Congratulations on the 3 chicks! I hope you get a variety of BLRW unless you want all one type. I think I've read it can take about 24 hours for the chicks to fluff up.

When I help a chick hatch and it has bits of shell or that gunk on it, I usually soak it a cup in warm water, right around 100 degrees and remove what I can. You don't want to chill the chick so use warm water. I especially want to get he shell off. Leaving some of the gunk (which will plaster the down to its body) isn't horrible as long as it doesn't prevent the chick from being able to move. It should wear off within a week. I've never had other chicks peck at the gunked down, that would worry me about leaving bits of egg shell.

One time I gave a chick like that to a broody hen, along with several other chicks. Egg shell was removed but the down was plastered down. The weather was pretty warm so the messed up down did not cause it to chill and the hen accepted it fine. Within a week the down had fluffed up (dust bathing probably helped) and I could not tell it from her other chicks.

When I help a chick hatch and it has bits of shell or that gunk on it, I usually soak it a cup in warm water, right around 100 degrees and remove what I can. You don't want to chill the chick so use warm water. I especially want to get he shell off. Leaving some of the gunk (which will plaster the down to its body) isn't horrible as long as it doesn't prevent the chick from being able to move. It should wear off within a week. I've never had other chicks peck at the gunked down, that would worry me about leaving bits of egg shell.

One time I gave a chick like that to a broody hen, along with several other chicks. Egg shell was removed but the down was plastered down. The weather was pretty warm so the messed up down did not cause it to chill and the hen accepted it fine. Within a week the down had fluffed up (dust bathing probably helped) and I could not tell it from her other chicks.

There's no she'll, just the gunk. I separated it from the other two cause they were kinda pecking at it and it was just so tired. I check it regularly though.

Thank you! It still has some residue on it so it's not 'fluffed' like the other chicks. Anything I can do to help with That?

I don't have anymore eggs pipping at the moment either.
Take a soft tooth brush and fluff the fluff against the way it grows (like petting a cat backwards) gently. That is very common is chicks that have to be assisted. And it does need to be done, flat fluff doesn't help keep a chick warm.

There's no she'll, just the gunk. I separated it from the other two cause they were kinda pecking at it and it was just so tired. I check it regularly though.
It sounds like the temperature was too low--your thermometer is not accurate.
Indications:
Late hatch
shrink wrapped
gooey chicks

Get a very accurate thermometer and or raise the temperature one degree for the next hatch. Likely the incubator was 2 degrees too low.

I'm surprised that at 72% humidity the eggs were shrink wrapped. I've read that ideal humidity is 65-68% and temp 100 F for a circulated incubator and 102 F for still air. But those settings are for hovabators which yours doesn't seem to be. What you did up to day 18 is usually what I've read though. Congratulations on the 3 chicks! I hope you get a variety of BLRW unless you want all one type. I think I've read it can take about 24 hours for the chicks to fluff up.
My incubator (a Brinsea) forced are has shrink wrapped eggs w/ humidity so high there was condensation inside the egg compartment.

I'm surprised it happened too. Mine isn't a Bresnia it's a model 1266 from a Georgia manufacturer, I tried to find tg e name but couldn't. It's an older forced air, 'cabinet' incubator.

I really hope more than three hatch, tray one is on day 24, tray 2 on day 23. One of the 3 eggs that made it from tray 2 have hatched and that was the day before yesterday. I want to have a variety of them. If this hatch is a total fail I will wait till it cools down and order some more BLRW hatching eggs. I know I'm going to be getting some Silver Duckwing Leghorns come fall :celebrate

Wow I've never heard of Silver Duckwing Leghorns, must be a new variety although I know there are many varieties of Leghorns. I hope to get Exchequer when I move to the country one day.

They are very very hard to find. Their recognized by APA and the book of standard but they are so incredibly hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom