How long to keep eggs in incubation after 21 days?

Mamachick06

Hatching
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Hello! I have been raising chickens for 4 yrs and this is the first I have tried hatching. Currently I have 5, started with 6, in incubation. It is day 22 with no hatching or pips. How long would you keep the eggs in for? I just candled and at least 2 , possibly 3 have movement. My humidity levels have been between 50 and 60% with the temp 99-100. They are in a home made incubator.

I have used a number of incubators over the years and have had some chicks hatch on the 22nd day. If they have not hatched by the 23rd day I think they are unlikely to hatch although I've heard some people say they have had a chick hatch as late as the 24th day.

I leave mine in 24 days, doesn't hurt anything. Unless you are needing to add other eggs for some reason right away. If temp is just a bit low it can take a day or two longer. If I don't see something moving in the egg I still don't discard it until day 24. No reason to. I've never had a egg explode or stink for that matter.

If you are on day 22 with nothing pipped or hatched I would leave them for at least 2 or 3 more days, it could be your temps weren't what you thought and they may be late hatchers, I have heard of an odd chick hatch on day 25 before but that would be pushing it I'd say, as long as you have movement you still have live chicks. How large are the air cells in the eggs? For me that humidity would be far too high, ok for lockdown but not incubation.

That humidity was just lockdown. It was about 45% during the first 18 days. I am giving them a few more days. Probably won't leave them in after day 25, but I will maybe candle them before I get rid of them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't float test anything until 24 or 25 days and only if there isn't an internal pip and you cannot hear peeping or see movement, float test is absolute last result, as a matter of fact I don't think I would float test at all, I would make a pip on the top of the air cell and look in and see if the chick is alive or not

Woot Woot!!! I have my first pip!! Day 24! Now the hard part....waiting..... I try not to go over and check it every minute, but it is hard! I guess, "A watched egg won't hatch!"
jumpy.gif

I have used a number of incubators over the years and have had some chicks hatch on the 22nd day. If they have not hatched by the 23rd day I think they are unlikely to hatch although I've heard some people say they have had a chick hatch as late as the 24th day.
Hey I'm new to incubating eggs I had 5 chics to die an 16 live and 21 that haven't hatched. My chics have wing feathers. Shouldn't I get rid of un hatched eggs?

Back
Top Bottom