How long to let paint dry?

jesd

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
We are getting ready to paint our coop (standard exterior latex paint), and I'm wondering how long we need to let it air out before the chickens can go in it? It's well-ventilated (outside) and will be warm for the next few days. Any idea?

Thank you everyone for the replies. For those of you who require further explanation: I know paint - even latex - will outgas for a while after it is dry to the touch. I also know birds have extremely sensitive respiratory systems. Therefore, it seemed possible that any faint lingering paint odor could have a negative effect on the birds. As I'm new to chickens, and eager to get them into the coop soon, it didn't seem an unreasonable question.

So, thanks to all of you who answered my question without being snarky - I am appreciative.

When you think the paint is dry, shut all the doors and vents and windows up tight, then wait til the next morning and stick your head into the coop. Do you smell paint? It needs more airing out before occupancy. No paint smell? It's ready for chickens
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat

Okay I gotta know: DO you really need to ask this?

Im sorry, I know how it sounds, but the obvious answer is when it is dry.

It may have an odor for days, even weeks after it is freshly painted, but it is still cured enough for occupancy within 24-30 hours (paint cures, by the way, as opposed to drying).
The label probably tells you the cure time.

I know, I know, it does sound snarky, but c'mon - it's paint.
Help me here, people.

24 hours. I don't like to repaint where my fingers have smeared it, 'cause it wasn't dry yet.

BTW, OIL based paint HAS to be really dry---if that's what you are using. Did you know that some oil paintings hanging in galleries have places on the canvas where the (thick-er) paint still isn't dry?

I don't think it was unreasonable. I have to paint my coop/garden shed. After reading this post I think I'll paint it in a squence of days. One side one day maybe wait a day and then the next and wait a day and then the next etc. etc. I only have one place to keep them and leaving them outside is out of the question.

I chucked my birds in after painting the floor in my coop after 24 hours.. But then again, I've got three huge openings where windows will go, plus I kept the door open for them during that first day.

Quote:
I get significant respiratory and headache problems from painty-smelling rooms (and I am not generally one of these running-around-worrying-about-chemicals fainting violet types).

So clearly it is possible to have problems even after 24-30 hrs.

Chickens being much smaller than people and being pretty sensitive to these sorts of things, I think it makes sense to err on the side of caution. What's another day or three of airing, really, in the greater scheme of things.

JME,

Pat

Pat, you are right. Your logic is sound.

I simply painted, waited 'til they couldnt get it stuck to their feathers and and tossed 'em in. No issues, no worries arose. I suppose I reckon things a bit differently than most. My bad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom