How long to pressure cook 5 lb chicken?

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I'm wanting to cook it whole, preferably. It's one of our CX that is a little over five pounds. All the recipes I find are for like three pound birds! Are you kidding me? That's why I raised the buggers, to have a large bird to feed my family of big eaters and maybe have leftovers. So, if I'm seeing times of 20-25 minutes for a three to four pound bird, can I assume 35 min would be long enough? Anyone with some solid experience here? We skinned them out, if that makes any difference, don't think it does. Thanks!

Well, I came home and honey had cooked it already! It's cute--he thinks the pressure cooker is a new toy, he's cooked this chicken, a ham and some ribs in it, all in the last two days! We're on a low carb diet, so we eat a LOT of meat sometimes. Anyway, he did it for 27 minutes and it was beautiful. It was our first CX to eat, I used both legs and a thigh for some soup for the honey--he has a sinus/ear/eye infection, poor baby-- the other thigh and most of the breasts for some wonderful shredded bbq chicken, and have the wings and breast/back for him to pick over. Thanks for you input!

I know this is an old post, but hopefully you've become a pro by now ;)
What psi did you use? Was it 27 min total or 27 mins after regular hissing? And did you use natural or quick release method?

Thanks!!
~Shannon

I love my pressure cooker...but have found...I really don't like doing chicken in it....other meats become fall apart tender...
but not chicken...think it does a bit better cooking all day in a crock pot...

Back
Top Bottom