How long to quarantine a hen after infection

kathrync

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2013
I have a hen that had some sort of sickness last week, not sure what it was. She was lethargic, not eating or drinking, and had yellowish-white runny poo with dark green chunks in it. Not good. I took her out of the flock and put her in a separate pen by herself so she couldn't infect the other birds. I called a few vet offices to find out if I could get her poo tested for worms, but vets won't do anything for chickens around here, grrrrr....

The only thing I could think to do for her was give her some antibiotic powder in her water, which I did for about 4 days. Gave it to her 3x per day by syringe. Now, she is eating and drinking fine, active, and her poo is looking more normal. Not 100% normal, but much better. What I'm wondering is how long should I keep her away from the other girls? It wouldn't be such a big deal, except I'm leaving on vacation next Tuesday and won't be back for a week. My neighbor is taking care of the chicks while I'm gone. I would hate for them all to get sick while I'm away.

What would you do??

Realistically, since she started showing symptoms while in the flock they have already been exposed if indeed is an infectious entity. I would put her back sooner rather than later so that any pecking order problems might be lessened.

Thanks sourland. I hadn't thought of pecking order issues... although this hen is usually the bully under normal circumstances, so I don't think she would be picked on much.

Back
Top Bottom