How long to Quarantine an adult duck

aydenjae

Hatching
Jul 9, 2020
We were given an adult duck that someone found at a local duck pond. This duck was only there for 2 days and 1 night. I think other ducks there have worms but this one seems fine. We have our own flock but i'm not sure when i can introduce her to my flock, i don't want them all getting sick. Help!!!!

I got rescue ducks that were abandoned on a pond and lived with wild mallards. They looked fine. They actually had infectious bronchitis, probably brought parasites that now live in my soil, and made my original ducks ill. I wish I had taken them to the vet before introducing them to my flock to test for parasites and viruses, instead of after when everyone got sick.

I'm not saying you shouldn't rescue. Rescuing is a wonderful thing. I just rushed things and I wish I hadn't endangered my original birds.

Also, I gave my ducks a stuffy, too. Even a duck stuffy! They don't care. What about an unbreakable mirror?

even if it doesn't look like anythings wrong? our other ducks have been trying VERY hard to get to her. there was only one so i gave her a stuffed animal but she doesnt like it 🙄🙄🙄
Yes I always quarantine for 4 weeks. Some birds can carry diseases that don’t affect them but it could affect the rest of your flock. If you’re confident there’s nothing wrong, then you can always do shorter but I would never go under 4 weeks

I always quarantine for a minimum of 4weeks. I’ve heard some people only do 2weeks but I wouldn’t want to chance it.
even if it doesn't look like anythings wrong? our other ducks have been trying VERY hard to get to her. there was only one so i gave her a stuffed animal but she doesnt like it 🙄🙄🙄

Back
Top Bottom