How long will a chick look for mom (broody hen died)

I wonder if she could have passed due to being too broody? Sometimes hens can sit themselves to death. Did she get up and drink and eat at least an hour a day or so? Was she able to dust bathe and move around? How long was she sitting before she got the chick?

I'm sure you did everything you can, I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds very unexpected and doesn't sound like she was sick or anything. I've known some people to have broody hens die on their nest due to her not taking care of herself and sitting too long. Not sure if this was the case or if she just possibly had a heart attack like you mentioned.

Right now as far as getting the chick to stop crying, it's just going to take time and that is all you can really do. Provide clean water and food and a nice heated area like you're doing and wait it out. Hopefully having a buddy will make the process easier.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I wonder if she could have passed due to being too broody? Sometimes hens can sit themselves to death. Did she get up and drink and eat at least an hour a day or so? Was she able to dust bathe and move around? How long was she sitting before she got the chick?

I'm sure you did everything you can, I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds very unexpected and doesn't sound like she was sick or anything. I've known some people to have broody hens die on their nest due to her not taking care of herself and sitting too long. Not sure if this was the case or if she just possibly had a heart attack like you mentioned.

Right now as far as getting the chick to stop crying, it's just going to take time and that is all you can really do. Provide clean water and food and a nice heated area like you're doing and wait it out. Hopefully having a buddy will make the process easier.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
we actually tried for 3 days last week to break her. She was only about 20 days into brooding when we got the chick. We definitely put her in broody jail with food and water for 3 days and we saw eating and drinking. And she ranged with the others each day for at least 20 minutes to dust bath and everything. We really try break them of being broody quickly and since 3 days in jail made no difference and it was her 4th round of being broody this year that's when I decided the chick would make it better.

we actually tried for 3 days last week to break her. She was only about 20 days into brooding when we got the chick. We definitely put her in broody jail with food and water for 3 days and we saw eating and drinking. And she ranged with the others each day for at least 20 minutes to dust bath and everything. We really try break them of being broody quickly and since 3 days in jail made no difference and it was her 4th round of being broody this year that's when I decided the chick would make it better.
I wonder if because you said she had went broody for the 4th time this year, maybe it took a tole on her physically. I know my hens personally lose a decent amount of weight when they go broody, plus they're hormones go wacko. I think that could have made things worse in her case, although I'm not a veterinarian or poultry professional, so I'm not certain.

I wonder if because you said she had went broody for the 4th time this year, maybe it took a tole on her physically. I know my hens personally lose a decent amount of weight when they go broody, plus they're hormones go wacko. I think that could have made things worse in her case, although I'm not a veterinarian or poultry professional, so I'm not certain.
that definitely could have been. I don't have a rooster so we don't let them just sit. We drag them out (normally screaming) and make sure they are eating and drinking every day. they don't love us for it. But it does make sure they that they aren't getting to thin from sitting. most days they get locked out for over an hour.

Back
Top Bottom