How long will a hatched chick survive in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Southwellski, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Southwellski

Southwellski Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Feltwell, UK
    This is my first time incubating and tonight (day 20) I have two out of six which have externally pipped. One is very active and I can see his little beak poking through the hole. The other is still but has broken through the membrane. Anyway, I am leaving well alone but what do I do when the active chick hatches (hopefully overnight) yet the others haven't? I thought I'm not supposed to open the incubator whilst the eggs are hatching, but how long will a hatched chick survive in the incubator without food or water? We have a box and heat lamp set up all ready and were planning on feeding chick crumb. Also I have another batch on day 15, will these be able to go in with the chicks that (hopefully) hatch out tonight/tomorrow and will be 1 weekish old?

Any other advice would be very welcome. It is so exciting but very tense here tonight!!!

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    A chick can live 12 hours or so in the incubator ( although i get them out as soon as safely possible)
    you must wait until no other eggs have pipped, then take the chick out quickly and get the humidity back up to 65 %
    enjoy!!!!

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I have left mine for 24 hours without a problem and heard they can stay even longer if necessary. Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    A chick can live in the bator up to 3 days. The yolk absorbed just before hatching will nourish the chick for over 48 hours. I remove my chicks from the bator when they are active and dried, usually 6-8 hours.

5. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    I leave them alone for a day, then transfer them together if possible. I agree with the last poster though, they can last more than 48 hours from yolk absorbtion. I have read in many places, the longer you leave them the better up to a day or so. Congrats!

6. Southwellski

Aug 28, 2011
    Feltwell, UK
    Thank you all for your replies. So I shouldn't find myself with pipped eggs and hatched chicks for more that 24 hours then, cos if so then I'm in trouble? I am beginning to appreciate the humble hen for the truly magnificent creature it is! [​IMG]

Is chick crumb/water enough for them to start off with?

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Quote:Yupper, up to 3 days. When all eggs that piped are hatched and chicks dry. Might have a few wobbling eggs without pips so then you can grab out the dry ones.

8. Southwellski

Aug 28, 2011
    Feltwell, UK
    The first chick hatched just now!!!! It's peeping and cheeping away and the egg looks cleanish, but there is a bit of mucousy gunk, is this normal?

There are 4 other pipped eggs but it is so hard just watching the little guy cheeping away all lonely.

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Nah, they can live up to 72 hours in there. How else would day old chicks surviv the shipping process? I like to leave them a day to get fluffed up and find their feet before I transfer them to the brooder. If I have some that are up and running and some that are still lying snoozing, I'll transfer the boisterous ones and leave the weaker ones in the bator a bit longer to give them some peace and quiet and to make asure they don't get kicked about and trampled on while they're just trying to doze quietly...

10. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    3 days i do it all the time and they are fine.. Happy Hatching!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by