How long will hen continue raising these chicks?

maggie&thechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Central NC
I have a BO hen with 9, 3 1/2 week old chicks that are doing super. The hen is a terrific first time mother and the chicks are all healthy. I'm wondering how long the hen will continue to look after them. I free-range the little family all day with the dogs to watch over them and have been recently letting the rest of the flock out late in the afternoon, again. The mama-hen, currently, does a good job of protecting her brood from the other chickens, mostly by keeping her distance. About how long will she be willing to keep this up?

Each hen varies, and she can vary with each clutch.

I have a hen who hatched chicks in October, she kicked her cockerel to the curb at about 17 weeks of age. The pullets, who are now laying so is the hen, still sleep with her at night – cuddled up under her.

Looks like you double posted. Here's my response from the other thread:

It seems to be a personal thing.

I just separated a momma from her babies that hatched in Jan. They were all starting to do their own thing anyways. Except the babies still wanted to sleep under her at night. Momma and babies don't seem to have any issues with being separated.

It seems by about the 3rd month mark, they might hang out together in general, but my hens typically start laying again and going back to business as usual.

Back
Top Bottom