I'm raising chicks this winter. How long do I have to keep them inside?

AmazingHens

Hatching
Nov 6, 2023
Recently, I realized one of my hens was a rooster. I have eggs that I think are fertilized. How long should I keep them inside? How old do they have to be in order to live outside in the middle of winter with my other chickens?

But you likely also have spells of sunny warm, calm weather as well. When the chicks are around two weeks old, select a calm sunny day and let them go out to play in a secure enclosure. Watch for chilling and that will be your signal to bring them back inside.

They may only last fifteen minutes on the first field trip. Increase daily and they will become acclimatized. By three weeks they can stay out for several hours as they will be on their way to being well feathered.

Recently, I realized one of my hens was a rooster. I have eggs that I think are fertilized. How long should I keep them inside? How old do they have to be in order to live outside in the middle of winter with my other chickens?
IMO, you'd really be better off waiting until spring to hatch any new chicks.
Have you ever integrated new chickens to your flock?
Acclimating them to the cold is one thing, but integrating in extreme temps could really be a problem if your cop and run is not set up for a good integration.

How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
How many chickens do you have now?

I live in Utah, where it gets really cold, wet, and snowy

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @AmazingHens
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1699290551232.png

You're not going to hatch chicks unless the hens have been broody or you're incubating the eggs. Are you incubating?
I am Incubating them as best as I can. I do not have the resources for an actual incubator, though. I am DIYing it.

IMO, you'd really be better off waiting until spring to hatch any new chicks.
Have you ever integrated new chickens to your flock?
Acclimating them to the cold is one thing, but integrating in extreme temps could really be a problem if your cop and run is not set up for a good integration.

How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
How many chickens do you have now?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @AmazingHens
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3677673
I cannot wait until spring. They are fertilized, and I don't want to destroy potential baby chicks. I have eight chickens, which are all very friendly towards newcomers. I have integrated into the flock before. I am not worried at all about space, because my coop is very large. right now, I only have three eggs, but i know more are coming from my chickens.

But you likely also have spells of sunny warm, calm weather as well. When the chicks are around two weeks old, select a calm sunny day and let them go out to play in a secure enclosure. Watch for chilling and that will be your signal to bring them back inside.

They may only last fifteen minutes on the first field trip. Increase daily and they will become acclimatized. By three weeks they can stay out for several hours as they will be on their way to being well feathered.
Thank you so much!

I cannot wait until spring. They are fertilized, and I don't want to destroy potential baby chicks. I have eight chickens, which are all very friendly towards newcomers. I have integrated into the flock before. I am not worried at all about space, because my coop is very large. right now, I only have three eggs, but i know more are coming from my chickens.
So you plan to hatch every egg your girls lay because they are likely fertile??

Back
Top Bottom