How long will keets stay with mom

tnctx

Chirping
Jun 28, 2023
The keets turned 1 mo old yesterday. Mom and Dad just started letting them get 4-6 feet away. They’ve also just started letting the 3mo Boneheads forage close to them but will chase the Boneheads away if mom thinks the keets aren’t getting first dibs. Last night mom even let the blue headed PG Bonehead sleep next to one keet but Dad was on the other side. Mom and Dad have defied most of what I’ve read about guineas being poor parents - they both have been awesome teachers and protectors of their little ones; makes me sad for the six that I gave away. I’m wondering how long Mom and Dad will provide security detail. I’m hoping it last until they are at least 3 mo old or more.
IMG_0081.jpeg

From my experience with guinea parents raising their keets, those little ones will always be with their parents as adults. Guineas do make good parents. It's just that they don't care for humans interfering with the way they want to raise their kids! :old

From my experience with guinea parents raising their keets, those little ones will always be with their parents as adults. Guineas do make good parents. It's just that they don't care for humans interfering with the way they want to raise their kids! :old
Thanks for the feedback! Lol about humans interfering! I am SO happy to hear that they will always be a family. I have witnessed some incredible interactions between mom and the babies. Like yesterday, she lead them onto the porch and up on the railing. Once they were settled, mom made some cooing sounds, they chirped back, she had another word then jumped off the porch leaving the keets sitting. She walked about 4’ out of their sight and layed in the dirt. After about 3 minutes, mom called loudly and all six keets jumped off the porch and ran straight to her. Now I don’t know if she actually told them “Stay right here until I call you.” but it sure looked and sounded that way! I had trouble getting my human babies to mind that well!!!

Back
Top Bottom