How long will the currants last? LOL

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, May 25, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Planted a red currant in my duck run. It is fenced currently - until it becomes more established (then I will cross my fingers for survival). This morning I noticed there are actually berries formed on the plant. I noticed because the drakes were circling and trying to figure out how to get too them. It's fenced with hardware cloth - a test of the ingenuity and intelligence of my drakes![​IMG]

2. Mum

Mum Songster

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    No idea! But didn't want to read and run.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Don't know about ducks, but my chickens leave my currant alone until I start picking.
    Then it's "That must be good" "Let's all try." [​IMG]
    Imp

4. grawg

grawg Chirping

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Ducks haven't bothered my currants either. I can see at least two black currants that have started to turn dark as well.
    Now the same can't be said for my attempt at water chestnuts this year, I'm thinking a fence is going to be a must if I want to grow those.

5. Imp

I need to know more about growing water chestnuts???

Imp

6. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Songster

Sep 5, 2011
    ooh I am going to have to try hardware cloth too, at least they can't get their beaks through it.

7. grawg

grawg Chirping

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    It can be very hard to find a source of seed corms around here. Basically, you get a 8-12inch deep container that holds water and fill it with aged manure and sand. Fill it with water so that it's an inch or so above the soil. Plant the corms or chestnut runners and watch them grow. Or in my case watch them grow and be eaten by ducks.

I ordered mine from tadege.com btw. I think he has a pretty good write-up on growing them on his site as well.

8. Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: