How long will the currants last? LOL

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
Planted a red currant in my duck run. It is fenced currently - until it becomes more established (then I will cross my fingers for survival). This morning I noticed there are actually berries formed on the plant. I noticed because the drakes were circling and trying to figure out how to get too them. It's fenced with hardware cloth - a test of the ingenuity and intelligence of my drakes!

Don't know about ducks, but my chickens leave my currant alone until I start picking.
Then it's "That must be good" "Let's all try."
lol.png

Imp

Ducks haven't bothered my currants either. I can see at least two black currants that have started to turn dark as well.
Now the same can't be said for my attempt at water chestnuts this year, I'm thinking a fence is going to be a must if I want to grow those.

Ducks haven't bothered my currants either. I can see at least two black currants that have started to turn dark as well.
Now the same can't be said for my attempt at water chestnuts this year, I'm thinking a fence is going to be a must if I want to grow those.
I need to know more about growing water chestnuts???

Imp

ooh I am going to have to try hardware cloth too, at least they can't get their beaks through it.
Planted a red currant in my duck run. It is fenced currently - until it becomes more established (then I will cross my fingers for survival). This morning I noticed there are actually berries formed on the plant. I noticed because the drakes were circling and trying to figure out how to get too them. It's fenced with hardware cloth - a test of the ingenuity and intelligence of my drakes!

I need to know more about growing water chestnuts???

Imp
It can be very hard to find a source of seed corms around here. Basically, you get a 8-12inch deep container that holds water and fill it with aged manure and sand. Fill it with water so that it's an inch or so above the soil. Plant the corms or chestnut runners and watch them grow. Or in my case watch them grow and be eaten by ducks.

I ordered mine from tadege.com btw. I think he has a pretty good write-up on growing them on his site as well.

Back
Top Bottom