How long will they be fertile?

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
Surprise, surprise, the fertile hatching eggs that turned into a breeding pair was really FOUR pheasants, three female and one male. All three girls laid eggs today, two in my mom's car and one right after she got here with them. Unfortunately, one of the females and the male got head injuries from flushing in the dog crate, so I've had to separate them. How long will the hens lay fertile eggs without him in the pen? I want to save them for X days and then incubate. I'll be building the flight pen over the next few days and I'll reintegrate them once they are healed. The male is in a quail pen adjoining the two uninjured females' pen and then injured female is in a bedroom in the house in a dog crate with a dropped plastic mesh roof to prevent reinjury. I'm hoping to get a door on the last pen in my hutch tomorrow if I can figure out how to drop the roof on it and then get the other female outside by the others (The quail pens are on the back of my rabbit hutch, I have an empty rabbit hutch she can go in if I can figure out how to drop the roof without ruining it for rabbits.)

The hens can possibly store the sperm from one mating for 14 days. It would be best to set the eggs before 10 days, as viability diminishes fairly rapidly by the 10 day mark in stored eggs.
Also, how the eggs are stored will play a huge part in the viability.

Last edited:
The hens can possibly store the sperm from one breeding for 14 days. It would be best to set the eggs before 10 days, as viability diminishes fairly rapidly by the 10 day mark in stored eggs.
Also, how the eggs are stored will play a huge part in the viability.

Thanks Sean! I have the three from today pointed end down in an egg carton right now. Off to read on the proper way to keep them! I know they need to be turned

Thanks Sean! I have the three from today pointed end down in an egg carton right now. Off to read on the proper way to keep them! I know they need to be turned
Yes, need to turn them while storing. I turn mine 45° left and to the right, plus give each egg a 1/4 turn, like if you where looking at a clock face....doesn't matter if clockwise or counter as long as it's the same direction on the 1/4 turn.
If I have to store my eggs, I store them at 55 to 60°F.

Back
Top Bottom