How loud are chicks?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
Ok, i am getting chicks soon (duh) and i was wondering how loud they would be. I want to keep them inside (in a room we aren't in very much. like once a day) for at least the first week. What are your thoughts?

They are VERY loud, especially once they figure out that you are a food-bringer. But if you are only planning on keeping them in the room for the first week that probably wouldn't be too bad. But their cuteness makes up for the loudness lol.
big_smile.png

Depends how many and the age. I keep mine inside for the first few weeks up to around 20 chicks and its not too bad as long as they are warm and well fed they shouldn't cause too much fuss.

You'll be fine. I had to keep my first ones for 2 weeks in our living room while my husband finished the coop. They start to get louder and messier after two weeks, so you'll be fine.

Congrats on the chicks!

Last edited:
I have 9 new chicks inside right now. It hasn't been to bad. They get loud when I go in there but otherwise they have been quiet. Have the heat lamp on them and they seem content. They are too cute !!

Their noise can range from soft, contented peeps to loud, ear piercing chirps of distress. As long as they are warm, well-fed and in the company of other chicks they should be fine. They will let you know if they are not happy. I love the sound of happy peeps!!
love.gif

We have thirty ranging from a six weeks to a year old and it not too bad. Our rooster is a little loud but not bad and the hens aren't loud at all. The chicks were getting louder in the brooder but it wasn't ear piercing. If you want quiet chickens stick with hens but you wouldn't have fertile eggs if you are intending to hatch.

Thanks alot everbody!!!!
frow.gif
I am getting ten chickens, a variety of breeds. I live in Iowa, and i am getting them in may, so i just wanted to keep them inside for a litte while. (plus i won't be able to help myself looking in on them a bazillion times!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom