How loud are chicks?

They will be noisy/happy. Loud when cold as others said.

After about three days the dust gets to be unbearable for us with them in the house. I keep winter chicks in the house for three days then move them to a chick-n-hutch with two or three 100 watt bulbs hanging over them in the garage. I put plexiglass and plywood across all exposed sides to keep it draft-free. I check temps under the lamp and all is well.

McMurray hatchery has a good chick care page if you need temperature help. Also feathersite.

Last edited:
thanks. i forgot about the dust factor. what does ithe dust look like, (for lack of another way to say it) or why is it annoying?

My chicks purr at night
love.gif

Quote:
The dust is both dander and particles from the shavings/bedding. It often kinda looks like what you'd find in a woodworking shop where the saw is (very, very fine and it goes EVERYWHERE). Lots of sneezes.
sneeze.gif

Mine are in my bedroom right now and I'm using pine pellets, so the dust hasn't been AS big an issue. I'm currently trying not to blame the chicks for the fact that I came down with a sinus infection the day after I got them, but you know... lungs can only take so much of it.

I have three chicks in the brooder right now and they're actually pretty good noise-wise.

Quote:
The dust is both dander and particles from the shavings/bedding. It often kinda looks like what you'd find in a woodworking shop where the saw is (very, very fine and it goes EVERYWHERE). Lots of sneezes. http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/sick-smileys/sneeze.gif

Mine are in my bedroom right now and I'm using pine pellets, so the dust hasn't been AS big an issue. I'm currently trying not to blame the chicks for the fact that I came down with a sinus infection the day after I got them, but you know... lungs can only take so much of it.

I have three chicks in the brooder right now and they're actually pretty good noise-wise.

ok, i'll make sure to keep an eye on it and move 'em out before it gets really bad!

Back
Top Bottom