1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many approximate years will an Hen lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azulrooster, Oct 18, 2012.

1. azulrooster

azulrooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Utah
    I have white leghorns, rhode island reds and barred rocks. All of the girls are 3- 4 yrs old.
    Egg laying is not as high as when they were younger.
    Any comments on length of egg laying life is appreciated.

2. jalal75

jalal75 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Hi there,

Its a question I get asked regular, but to be honest I don't know the answer as I rotate my hens. I find after the first year of laying egg production will drop sharply. I don't see the point in keeping hens that are not producing so they end up in the pot and I have a new flock waiting to take command of production. I know people who have had the same layer hens for years and complain they don't get eggs. I give the above advice.
    Of course layer hens give a more concentrated delivery of eggs unlike some other breeds which will spread the laying over a longer period. Also take into account conditions such as weather/ season as this will affect laying and you should be able to make a sound valuation before making a decision.

ciaou

3. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    I think it depends on how attached you are to your hens. I have two left from my first 6 purchased 5 1/2 years ago. They are happy BFs and still lay approximately 5 eggs a week between the two of them. That makes me happy, but more importantly THEY make me happy. I have 14 new ladies that are just beginning to lay and I look forward to lots of eggs and no plans to eat them. I have nothing against raising them for meat because I know everyone has their own preference. Good luck on whatever you decide.

4. azulrooster

Dec 9, 2010
    Utah
    thank you for the reply!

5. azulrooster

Dec 9, 2010
    Utah
    thank yo... hard for me to put them in a pot![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by