How many birds can my coop hold? *Pics*

Pics
So many great replys and advice!

Definitely need ventilation and more space.
I think I need to add more ventilation in mine, as it often has drips from the roof and it's just so damp and wet and won't dry inside - I have a dirt floor and just added some sand to cover the wet dirt but now the sand is wet!
My coop is (a cheaply made pallet/free timber bits eyesaw) 3.6 X 3.6 metres (11 X 11 feet) and I currently have 7 hens, 1 rooster plus 8 chicks (probably more then half are roosters that will go)
..right side is also open ventilation with tarp cover like front is I can roll up tarps or they flap about allowing some airflow but rain protection.
How many can I keep in there and how do I prevent dripping roof?
IMG_20211007_115109.jpg

I think I need to add more ventilation in mine, as it often has drips from the roof and it's just so damp and wet and won't dry inside - I have a dirt floor and just added some sand to cover the wet dirt but now the sand is wet!

Definitely need more ventilation.

How many square feet of ventilation do you have? How many birds?

The starting point is 1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen.

Additionally, the best ventilation is at roof level -- because heat and ammonia both rise. Warm air is moist air and that's what's causing the drips when it meets the cold roof -- condensation.

This illustration is from an article on cattle barns, but the principle holds for chicken coops:

natural-ventilation.png

My coop is (a cheaply made pallet/free timber bits eyesaw) 3.6 X 3.6 metres (11 X 11 feet) and I currently have 7 hens, 1 rooster plus 8 chicks (probably more then half are roosters that will go)
..right side is also open ventilation with tarp cover like front is I can roll up tarps or they flap about allowing some airflow but rain protection.
How many can I keep in there and how do I prevent dripping roof?
Is the tarp the roof, or is there an actual roof under there?

You could leave all that tarp off if there's a roof, but you need to build overhangs or add awnings to keep water from dripping down directly inside the coop. As it is, with the tarps down, there essentially is no ventilation because the tarps are covering it all up.

Is the tarp the roof, or is there an actual roof under there?

You could leave all that tarp off if there's a roof, but you need to build overhangs or add awnings to keep water from dripping down directly inside the coop. As it is, with the tarps down, there essentially is no ventilation because the tarps are covering it all up.
Tarps are on sides, Roof is tin.
I need to build an awning so it's permanently open on one side at least and weather protected.

Tarps are on sides, Roof is tin.
I need to build an awning so it's permanently open on one side at least and weather protected.

That would be an excellent idea -- my chickens seem to love having a "porch" area where they can hang out in partial shelter from sun or rain without being actually inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom