How many birds?

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
How many birds will fit in a 104 square feet pen? I have never put my birds in a pen they are always free range. I will be starting a new job soon and will be away from them longer than usual. I will be building a pen and it is 104 SQ feet. How many can be inside this comfortably?

How many birds will fit in a 104 square feet pen? I have never put my birds in a pen they are always free range. I will be starting a new job soon and will be away from them longer than usual. I will be building a pen and it is 104 SQ feet. How many can be inside this comfortably?
At 10 square feet per bird = 10 birds

Just depends on the breed of chickens you have, bantams Ive fit 20-30 in a 10x10ft=100sq ft pen. They had plenty of room to play in and were never crowded.

I dont like cramping LF in pens but theoretically 4sq ft per bird is accepted, especially in winter when they need to help keep each other warm. So 25 birds in a 104 sq ft but personally Im with above poster I would never squeeze more than 10 LF in that area.

10. And if they are used to free ranging, they won't like that much confinement one little bit!
Yes I know they will hate this but I got to keep them safe since I will be working 12 hour shifts. They are so spoiled they will just have to get used to is it's better than being supper for a coyote or hawk!

Just depends on the breed of chickens you have, bantams Ive fit 20-30 in a 10x10ft=100sq ft pen. They had plenty of room to play in and were never crowded.

I dont like cramping LF in pens but theoretically 4sq ft per bird is accepted, especially in winter when they need to help keep each other warm. So 25 birds in a 104 sq ft but personally Im with above poster I would never squeeze more than 10 LF in that area.
There will be 2 large breed roosters, 1 medium sized hen and 2 that are 14 weeks old. I'm unsure if I'll place the other 2 with them since they are younger. I think they will fit nicely even if they won't like the confinement. Thank you for your reply!

There will be 2 large breed roosters, 1 medium sized hen and 2 that are 14 weeks old. I'm unsure if I'll place the other 2 with them since they are younger. I think they will fit nicely even if they won't like the confinement. Thank you for your reply!
Oh yeah thats plenty of space, theyll have it made! At 3.5 months old they might be old enough to hang with the old heads. I'd stick them in there and watch what happens for a while if no one starts pecking at them they should be fine

Oh yeah thats plenty of space, theyll have it made! At 3.5 months old they might be old enough to hang with the old heads. I'd stick them in there and watch what happens for a while if no one starts pecking at them they should be fine
One of my mature roos chases off the 3.5 month olds. One is a definite rooster so I think that's the issue. He has been more friendly to them lately so I'm hoping they can get along in there.

You will probably have more issues with 2 roos and a handful of hens than the space of your run.
The 4 sq ft per lf bird is for coop size and 10 sq ft per run area. Depending on your birds you could get by with less or need more space. Only you know your birds. I have 1 roo and 4 hens. They have 112 sq ft of run space and I'm wanting to give them more so that I can add things like hiding areas and roosts, etc. But, they do well in that area and have never complained. :D Plus, when I can I let them out. Their coop size is a little less than recommended, but again they do well and get along. They don't stay in their coop except to roost at night and the hens lay eggs in there.

Back
Top Bottom