How Many Bobwhites For This Space?

jumbocoturnix

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
Hello, I have a quail pen 5' L x 3' W x 2' H. I have three questions:

1) How many Bobwhites should I purchase and not have issues w/ space?

2) Plus, how about ratio? Example 2 males & 2 females?

3) Are Bobwhites the same as Coturnix Quails with 1 male w/ 3-5 females?

Much appreciation and thank you!

1) I would think 1 male to 2 females in your quail pen as bobwhites are aggressive birds and will hurt each other.I bought bobwhites from a person that simply lost interest in keeping care of them and most of the bobwhites heads was so beaten up to the point where they have an indent and I could see their skull. You maybe could add another female to the pen.Just watch them for awhile and see if their is any aggression if their is then take a female out.
2) In the wild the ratio is 1:1 but in cages it can be 1:3. If you want to have fertile eggs though your fertility will be more higher if the ratio is 1:1 and it is also a higher chance for the female to hatch them, but you can get a fertility rate of 80% with 1:3.
3) Yes they are just more aggressive I would keep the ratio at a minimum of 3.

Bobwhites are such beautiful birds I could listen to their call all day!

sorry if that was alot of information i just want to make sure you are getting the answers you wanted
smile.png

You may want to add if you are thinking of having a trio put them in at the same time.If you have a pair that has been in the pen for 3 or 4 weeks,there may be an intrusion issue.An established pen will defend against any new comers.
The state also has requirements for bobwhites,plus you may need a permit to raise them.
1( a trio will work nicely,but then again state requirements will make a difference.
2)1 male to 2 or 3 hens at the most for that space.
3)Bobwhites are more aggressive,but given enough space you can run up to 10 hens to a male.
If you give them straw you will see the male build a nest to try and coax the hen into his pad.
Bobwhites and all gamebirds should be fed a gamebird crumble,layer crumble or pellet is not good for gamebirds as a main feed.They also love wild bird seed,fruits,veggies,mealworms,crickets and most insects.They should also be wormed 2 times per year.
In N.H.,Tony.

In regards, "Bobwhites and all gamebirds should be fed a gamebird crumble,layer crumble or pellet is not good for gamebirds as a main feed.", what brand and how to feed Bobwhite starting from Day 1 to maturity? Main purpose is meats, eggs & breeding. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you so much!

gamebird/turkey finish grower is what is available here.It comes in a crumble and pellet,but I recommend crumble for all quail.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom