How many broodies do you have?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Corey NC, May 3, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I am just curious who has the most broodies right now. I have 4 at the moment three very broody buff orps (one that has been broody once already this year) and 1 7 month old chochin who's been laying for barely a month.

So, how many broodies do you have?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just one, my poufy-headed Olivia. She's on about Day 7 with her three Barred Rock eggs I gave her, all Hawkeye's babies. Sunny, previously my only broody, hasnt gone over the edge this year yet.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A big fat 0! LOL

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have 4 mommas with a total of 30 chick.

On empty nests that I need to break I have 2 Standard Buff Cochins, a Standard Black Cochin, 2 bantam Black Cochins, 1 Mutt bantam, and a Frizzle bantam.

So, that would be 11.

Matt

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have 1 and she is my first. I am like MissPrissy, I never have any broody hens but this year I do. She is a White Rock and I so hope that she stays on the nest, today is day 7 so Speckled Hen and I will be neck and neck. Yesterday when she got up to eat and drink I happened to see her and looked in,,,there are 16 eggs all shapes and colors. So who knows what is what,,,just hoping I get some chicks on my own this spring. [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have 3 blue/black/splash Broodies....one I'm letting set some blue/black/splash, the other two are setting on air [​IMG]

7. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    i have 4 broodies at the moment.

8. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    So far, I have ya'll beat. I have a flock of 15 laying hens, including 5 tiny little year old banty hens I beleive to be D'Anver Quail and two other banty hens. Of those, all 5 of the D'Anver's and one of the other banties is broody. For a grand total of 6.

I let the one banty hen have a clutch of 10 eggs, 2 of which I thought 'might' be fertile. One of those two disappeared, and the remaining one has hatched.

9. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    I have 2 buff orpingtons and a white leghorn.

10. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have one light brahma that usually goes broody every year. She is a great mom once the peeps hatch. She is priceless in my opinion, and hope she raises some more again this year for me.

It is a wonderful experience to watch mom and the peeps. The new unheard sounds she provides them as she teaches them new things is nature in it's finest moments.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by