How many BYCers cannot drive a straight drive (manual) vehicle?

Can you drive a straight drive?

• Yes, It's the only thing I drive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I prefer not to.

• Kind of; I know how to crack it up.

• No, never learned how to.

• No, and I refuse to.

• Other - Please specify.

• Total voters
3 out of 4 of our vehicles are standard trans. Only have an automatic in the van cause we bought it second hand and its really hard to find a conversion van with a standard trans in it. My DH is a mechanic and his opinion is standard trans give you less trouble.

My sister just bought a new honda and wanted a standard trans. They really tried to talk her out of it. She held out and got what she wanted.
smile.png

I have always driven an automatic but learned how to drive a stick about 15 years ago when I was working at a zoo in Florida. No hills to deal with so it was great. Of course the emus that insisted on crouching down behind the back bumper made for interesting speed bumps when you tried to back up.
lau.gif
. Just kidding. I never ran over one. One of the supervisors did though. Emu was fine.
About three years ago I had another chance to drive a stick. This time in Iceland where there are plenty of hills but no emus. And to make things even more interesting I had to drive from Reykjavik to northern Iceland during a major blizzard in a postage stamp sized Nissan. Normally a three hour drive took me 8 hours. Great adventure but I still prefer an automatic transmission.

I prefer standard transmission but because of a shoulder injury I cant drive standard for long periods of time now or i cant move my shoulder

my dad had a standard 1972 GMC Jimmy that he taught my sister to drive standard
my dad never took the time to teach me so I taught myself

there is not better incentive to learn then to buy your first car in a standard transmission

I know how to drive stick; the van and Jeep I currently have are automatic. I always enjoyed driving stick until I was diving in town a lot. It is a skill everyone should master.

Quote:
How to drive stick, or how to sit down to BYC with a beverage in hand?

Back
Top Bottom