How many can a mom handle?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mccaff mama hen, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'm curious if anyone can tell me how many babies can one mommy handle? Or has anyone had luck with a recently broody silkie, accepting so new babies? A week ago I has several brooches, a fox got 2 of them and I'm expecting 20 sultans on Friday and would perfer to have a mommy raise them outside. I have a BO raising 10 silkie babies and I don't think she can handle much more? Any suggestions?
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

The hen can only handle as many as she can sit on and keep warm.[​IMG]
  3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    My broody has 8 and that seems like plenty. She could maybe handle up to 12, but I think more than that would be too much.
  4. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    If you have a BO with 10...that, in my humble opinion, is really pushing it.
  5. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Yeah I have worried about her, but she seems to be doing great! Any suggestions on getting a hen to go broody? Last week everyone was [​IMG]
  6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I've had a banty handle 14 babies.
  7. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I had an australarp raise 27...there were little heads poking out from EVERYWHERE. She may or may not have stolen them from other mama hens. I couldn't get them from her either. She left the other moms with 5 a piece.
  8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody BO managed 5 chicks like it was no big deal, so I think she could have easily handled a few more than that
  9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    try giving her a nest of golf balls and see if she is triggered by them. I just succeeded in putting 3 day old chicks under a new broody. It was a black orp and I held my breath as I tucked an expendable chick as a test under her. She snuggled right in so I gave her 5 others:)
    I really do like using broodies to graft new chicks. Ours came back into lay much faster and healthier if they didn't have to set for a full 3 weeks.
  10. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Ok I know Im going to get bashed for this one. Letme say first off it has been really hot here. I had my silkie mother 33 and another frizzle mother 27. Didnt lose one chick. Now my silkie is broody again right now she has 11 chicks and tomorrow I am giving her 15 to 20 more. I have avery nice HUGE doublebrooder just in case but so far this summer its been really warm and I have been brave and lucky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by