How many can I have?

May 27, 2019
Smithville, MO
4510B5EC-B82E-499B-B5C6-6AA5FB55FF7B.jpeg
I have a coop 7x12, 9 nesting boxes, 2- 12’ roosts, run 27x34, and they are free ranged during the day. I have 9 pullets and 1 roo 4 months old. I also have 3- 1.5 week old and 8- 3 day old pullets.
So in total I will have 21

How many can I realistically have? #chickenmath

Last edited:
I think it's probably doable with your space - you have a generous run. Coop space -IF you go by general guidelines "holds" 21 - but if you have plenty of roosting space in there, I think you should be fine.

Now...photos of coop/run - inside of coop too may be helpful. Do you have covered areas of the run so in the dead of winter they have a dry place/can get out of rain/snow. Mine do get outside everyday in winter, but most of my run is roofed AND I provide wind blocking - stacked up straw bales, tarp/plastic on the windy side, etc. Sometimes if it's very cold and windy, they may spend a day or so mostly inside the coop, but for the most part they come out - not sure if they would if it wasn't roofed though.

Just my 2¢

oh! Adorable chicks :)

D77BA9AA-4D23-4E20-A2C5-6388785E777B.jpeg
34B88435-25B0-4720-88B8-C331A960812E.jpeg
I think it's probably doable with your space - you have a generous run. Coop space -IF you go by general guidelines "holds" 21 - but if you have plenty of roosting space in there, I think you should be fine.

Now...photos of coop/run - inside of coop too may be helpful. Do you have covered areas of the run so in the dead of winter they have a dry place/can get out of rain/snow. Mine do get outside everyday in winter, but most of my run is roofed AND I provide wind blocking - stacked up straw bales, tarp/plastic on the windy side, etc. Sometimes if it's very cold and windy, they may spend a day or so mostly inside the coop, but for the most part they come out - not sure if they would if it wasn't roofed though.

Just my 2¢

oh! Adorable chicks :)
Sorry it’s messy

@doublecrossranch I like it!
You may want to provide more ventilation along the eves in the coop for winter. It's our instinct to want to close them up so they will be warm - they have feathers for that:) Protection from wind and drafts is important though, but they do need fresh air coming in to move ammonia up and out. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/c...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Also, just curious - does the metal roof and sides sweat inside?

Well the Coop can comfortably house the 9 Pullets and the Run is great for them to have fun during the day. I definitely wouldn't add anymore to the set up..
Hmmm...why only 9?
The OP has 7' X12' that is 84sq ft. - if you allow for 4sq ft per chicken that is 21...so 21 chickens:)
None of the "rules" for coops/runs are perfect - sometimes more can live comfortably in a coop that size while at other times the number needs to be reduced.

You may want to provide more ventilation along the eves in the coop for winter. It's our instinct to want to close them up so they will be warm - they have feathers for that:) Protection from wind and drafts is important though, but they do need fresh air coming in to move ammonia up and out. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/c...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Hmmm...why only 9?
The OP has 7' X12' that is 84sq ft. - if you allow for 4sq ft per chicken that is 21...so 21 chickens:)
None of the "rules" for coops/runs are perfect - sometimes more can live comfortably in a coop that size while at other times the number needs to be reduced.
There are vents on both sides. I haven’t touched them since it was built. Hopefully it’s enough. It’s worked pretty good so far. If the wind is blowing and raining it comes in through the roof. I’m waiting to see what happens this winter.

Attachments

• 4FCCA1F9-FFDB-4506-9255-B1966A7549A6.jpeg
    4FCCA1F9-FFDB-4506-9255-B1966A7549A6.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 7
  • CF300C52-C73E-40B7-B7C8-3BCAC1F93DB7.jpeg
    CF300C52-C73E-40B7-B7C8-3BCAC1F93DB7.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 8
There are vents on both sides. I haven’t touched them since it was built. Hopefully it’s enough. It’s worked pretty good so far. If the wind is blowing and raining it comes in through the roof. I’m waiting to see what happens this winter.
It may be enough ventilation, I'm no coop builder LOL If you find it's not, then you can always add more.

Hmmm...why only 9?
My Coop is 8X12 and I definitely couldn't keep 21 birds in my Coop. I now have 13 Bantam chickens and that's all I feel will happily live in my Coop..

Back
Top Bottom