How many cant stand their inlaws? *ranting*

My in-laws were fine, for the most part. They would come over, visit, and leave. It's my mother that was always driving us nuts. She gets into everything. Empties the dishwasher and then puts things where she thinks they should be stored, not where we keep them, and I don't mean putting a few things in the wrong place because she doesn't know where they belong. She re-arranges the drawers and cupboards.

She's taken scissors to my houseplants when I have repeatedly told her not to. She says they have too many leaves for their roots to support. They're epiphytes; they don't have much for roots and they get moisture from the air. It takes years to grow them to size, and she's hacked them up more than once. I finally had to hand her a book on them, and tell her that before she hacks up something I've spent years on, she should at least understand what she'd doing. I told her that I'd learned a lot from her all my life, but told her that she doesn't know everything, nobody does. That seemed to do the trick.

She may get into everything, but she always helps with things when she comes to visit. For everything she doesn't know, there's ten things she does know.

When our daughter was born, my wife's entire extended family descended on our house. I spent my entire first weekend of fatherhood cooking for them and doing dishes because there were far more people than the dishwasher could keep up with. One of my wife's aunts was sitting in the sunroom, in easy earshot of the kitchen, and asked my wife "Doesn't your husband like the baby? He's hardly been in here to see her!" and my wife said "who's been feeding you all weekend?"
lol.png

My wife even came into the kitchen and started helping me do dishes ... two days after giving birth, so of course the entire collection of women eventually showed up, told her she should be off her feet ... and she said "somebody's got to help him clean up." They set my wife off to sit down, all pitched in, washed a dish or cleaned off a plate, and within 5 mins they'd all wandered off again and it was me and the dishes and dinner to get ready for 30 people. When our second was born, and we needed someone to watch our daughter while we were at the hospital, my wife asked me if my mother would come out instead of getting her mother to come.

So ... I guess you should learn to put up with the meddling, and welcome the assistance. Eventually you might convince your in-laws that no matter how much they want to feel like their children still need them, you are capable in your own right but still appreciate the assistance. It sounds like for all his ol' man grumbling, he's spending the weekend doing work around your house.

I still think that handing him a toilet brush or mop would have been the most effective means to shut him up.
tongue.png

My MIL is one of those control people. We started off on a bad note, I hadn't even met the woman yet, and she called me and started in. I will not say what I told her, but it's been great for the last 9 years.

What's not to stand? Mine are the most brilliant, upstanding, perfectly, wonderful couple (B-I-L and wife) in the world...JUST ASK THEM!!!!! If you can manage to get a word in edge wise...good luck with that!

Dont even get me started...thank God they live 90 miles away!

Both of my in laws are deceased. My mil as of 11/3/9 I know she didnt always like me but I know she loved me! We had our differences but I was her sons choice of a wife and mother for his 3 children! I stayed by her side in her last 25 hours and I miss her dearly! I wish I could have been closer to his parents but I am glad they were my in laws! RIP Dad and Mom!

My MIL is a neat FREAK..and even she would never dare comment about my house.
I'm lucky, i like my in-laws. They dont mettle in our business.

I had my doctor tell me when I first got married...ALL family is great

They just need to be at least 700 miles away....

I was 17 when he told me that...Now I'm 45 and I can testify that it's true! At least for me!!!

Quote:
Thats not far enough!

My MIL drives for two days to come see us, and she'll do that 5 times a YEAR! (I wish she hadn't retired early)

i love this thread!! i could tell some stories
my first mother in law hated me!! she was terribly negative about every single thing, you know the type
smack.gif

my mother in law now speaks no english!!!
woot.gif
woot.gif
i couldnt be happier!!
lau.gif

My FIL is not the only one that DRIVES ME NUTS! Hubby's uncle does too! I called him up on video phone the other day to let him know that we are still recieving mails that are his son's. I asked him to PLEASE tell him to change his address. Instead, he goes on and on and on about the toys in the livingroom, a basket of clothes that I haven't had a chance to fold yet, even about me being on the phone when the kids are up. The kids were in my bedroom, right off the livingroom, watching TV quietly cuz it was quiet time before bed. Toys? I GOT KIDS! HELLO REMEMBER WHAT THAT WAS LIKE?! Clothes in basket? Give me a break!

Everytime he calls or comes over and sees the house the way HE doesn't like it, he calls DCF. I flat out told hubby not to allow him over anymore or allow him to call us, Im fed up way over my head with him! Don't like his uncle ANYHOW rather he does this or not, he is a PERVERT!

Back
Top Bottom