How Many Chickens Can a Bantam Hen Handle?

rhino533

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Thailand
The reason I ask this is because my Japanese Bantam Hen, as we speak is hatching eggs and the eggs in my incubator are also hatching at the same time as hers. She has around 10 eggs and I have 70 eggs in the incubator. If I make a cage with a light for warmth do you think it possible to put all the babies with the Bantam Hen? Would she take care of them? I know that's a lot of chicks for one small Hen but I wonder if it's possible. The chicks in the incubator are a much bigger breed of chicken. Do you think it's worth trying or will it wear out the Hen?

She'd be like the old woman who lived in a shoe lol
tongue.png

What I was planning on doing was to have a heating lamp so the chicks that can't get under mom will still be warm. I have a small storage building outside where I would keep them. During the day they can roam around the yard with mom. The weather is hot during the day and warm at night. I'm just worried that doing this will stress the hen to the point she will die.

The ones unable to get under her and have to use an externel heat source for warmth should be raised in a brooder.

I can't help but wonder if a troll or a child asked this question.
sad.png

as I was reading this, I came to ponder.....would my adolescent silkie roo attack my silkie chicks?....the adolescent hen has no interest in them what so ever but the young roo is very interested in them

Back
Top Bottom