how many chickens can I have

papeine

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Hastings
I have a 12x12 chicken coop with four nest boxes.. what would you guys say is the maxium chickens I could have? currently I have 12

Quote:
probably 24 by 50... they are out of the coop when I have home.. so mostly weekends and evenings.. although with the time change they don't always get out at night...

Well, if they're inside the coop housing for most of the day (unless I misunderstood you), then I'd advise sticking with 12. However, if I did misunderstand you, and they're out in the run during the day, then you could have upwards of 30 chickens if you had enough roost space...
If you live in a year round mild climate, then you could have more than that... How many are you wanting to keep?

Quote:
probably 24 by 50... they are out of the coop when I have home.. so mostly weekends and evenings.. although with the time change they don't always get out at night...

Is your property 24 x 50 or is your closed in run 24 x 50?
Your coop being 12x12... your square footage is 144 sq ft. I like a minimum of 5 sq ft per bird in the coop. (with a run with at least 10 sq ft per bird) So that would be 144 sq ft / 5 = 28.8 birds in the coop.
If you leave them in the coop all the time or at least the majority of the time I would increase the sq ft per bird to 10. That would allow you 14.4 birds in the coop.

Quote:

Your coop being 12x12... your square footage is 144 sq ft. I like a minimum of 5 sq ft per bird in the coop. (with a run with at least 10 sq ft per bird) So that would be 144 sq ft / 5 = 28.8 birds in the coop.
If you leave them in the coop all the time or at least the majority of the time I would increase the sq ft per bird to 10. That would allow you 14.4 birds in the coop.

3sqfft is fine for standard bird

Quote:

3sqfft is fine for standard bird

Yes I agree that 3 sq ft in most cases is fine for standard birds. I have all lg breed birds and find they do much better with 5 sq ft in the coop.

mmm.... what about bantam?
hmm.png

The OP didn't say anything about bantams. Least I don't think they did. The assumption has to be they have the large breed of chickens. Always better to go high than low.

Back
Top Bottom