How many chickens can I put here?

I don't want to give up on this whole thing......I really like to work on projects and because I'm not allowed to have any more pets (if I was, I'd be planning a fish tank right now), I'm tying to put time and projects into my current pets instead. My parents were like 'no more chickens' for a really long time, so I put a lot of planning into expanding the run, and when I brought it up, they were like "oh heck no'. So now I'm here.

I want to clarify to everyone here that I am not in control of whether or not to expand the run. I've tried. Really hard. It's not a question if I'm willing to expand it.

Knowing one's limits, and living within them, is no vice. Much respect, whatever you decide, even if its ultimately "now is not the time". If you were closer, i'd take your extras off your hands - I wouldn't even notice another mouth or three to feed.

I would say most require more. In most cases the minimum really should be closer to 15-20 sq ft especially if they don't have ample free range time. Overall dimensions also matter, because a 100 sq ft run that's long and narrow will cause more friction than a square one, because birds need to be able to get a certain distance away from another to avoid being chased.

I personally feel 100 sq ft should be the minimum run size even if you have a small flock, just because "stuff" such as extra feeders and clutter for enrichment/hiding all eats up space.

I guess the hard question you really should be asking yourself is, if you add new ones and it causes too many issues, are you willing to rehome multiple birds in order to solve it, since expanding isn't an option?
Do you think around 500sq ft is enough for 11 hens and 3-4 ducks?

Do you think around 500sq ft is enough for 11 hens and 3-4 ducks?
Yes. I have 8 or 900 sq ft of run, mybe 1k (not the greatest job fencing it), currently 5 ducks and just over 2 dozen birds. I free range a bigger area - more than an acre, but when the weather is shit, i keep em in, no behavior problems.

I don't want to give up on this whole thing......I really like to work on projects and because I'm not allowed to have any more pets (if I was, I'd be planning a fish tank right now), I'm tying to put time and projects into my current pets instead. My parents were like 'no more chickens' for a really long time, so I put a lot of planning into expanding the run, and when I brought it up, they were like "oh heck no'. So now I'm here.
I’m not quite as shock to hear your parent reaction, but I wanted to say you have so much yard space to expand just a tad more. Like is that unreasonable to increase 2 more feet from the opposite end of the length of the coop?

:th
Please don't try to put more birds in there.
I think you well know that you're at the max for the space you have.

I agree with @aart , @black_cat . Just because you want to and the birds will "fit", doesn't mean it's good for them. Think about the living conditions they will have, not about the fact that there is a different breed that you want to add or that you "may" sell eggs. Will the planned new and existing birds coexist happily or are you filling the space to capacity and potentially going to make their living environment worse?

I understand we all have different situations, etc., but my run is about 220 sq feet, with a 8x10 coop. I have 7 birds and plan to increase their run space this spring, as I don't think it's currently enough.

Back
Top Bottom