How many chickens can this coop hold?

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken
94962_im005855.jpg

2 nesting boxes and 2 roosting sticks. (only one in the pic)
The waterer and fooddish takes up some room.

I estimate the dimensions are 5' W x 4' H x 4' L

Last edited:
Not sure of the measurements... I can get those tomorrow. We have 1 orpington and 1 barred rock, but plan to get more... which is why i'm asking how many chickens this can hold.

My estimate on the measuments is 5 feet width in front and sides are about 4 feet and height (with legs) is about 5 - 6 feet.

Last edited:
I would think that in MA you guys get some decent winters, so I'd suggest (after you take your measurements) that you allow 4 sq. ft. per chicken, especially with a food/water dish in there taking up space. By the way, have you considered using a dropping board in your coop? They make clean-up easy, and you can put your feeder/waterer beneath, keeping droppings off/out of them (cause it looks like your waterer is right below your roost).

Hard to tell from picture. What are dimensions? I have 8 hens in a 4'6"w X 8'L X 9'h coop with 2 roosts and 3 boxes. However, my chickens only use 2 boxes at max. Feeding is done through a 4" PVC pipe from outside that comes into and is butt up against the wall (no floor space taken up). I'm also changing watering system to winter one that is suspended from ceiling to free up more floor space. I noticed you are form Massachusetts. I'm in PA. There will be days where the outside is too much and they'll need to stay in and not kill each other. I have 4+ sq.ft. per bird and I'm not pushing it any further.
Hope this helps.

If you put a Staggered Roost with 2 and 2 big boxes or or 4. That looks 4' deep by 8 or 9 wide so 32 to 36 sqft. The girls will more than likely share boxes if thy are chick siblings so do 2 big boxes like it is and if there mixed chicks you can do 3 or 4 depending on how many kids you have. JMO
GoodluckToYou.gif

Back
Top Bottom