How many chickens can you have?

Limited only by 30 acres and my willingness to build coops for them. (Shuttered) factory farms all around me, I share their zoning - so if I wanted to build big quonset huts with monster fans at either end, and shove them full of birds, i could.

50-60 birds is my current comfort zone - though I have housing for more.
You have your hands full even with 50 😉

My town lets you have up to six max. Currently, I have three. Started with six but one got bullied to death and I culled the two bullies. I like my small flock of three, they give me enough eggs, which is why I have chickens to begin with, no chicken math here!
3 was my number too when I started out, but quickly spiraled upwards when I found out how funny, adorable and smart they are. But I am so glad you found your happy little flock that works for you! :clap

You have your hands full even with 50 😉
Actually, I have my hands full with building my house. It keeps raining, and setting me back days, digging the foundations back out. In the long run, it will be worth it - but I picked about the worst possible design for going it mostly alone and suffering massive product delays. Took more than 2 months to get my ICF delivered - in which time we had a 20-year rainfall event which washed my hill into my dig. and last week, we had what would have been a 20-year rainfall event, if we hadn't just had a bigger one a few months earlier.

Taking care of 50 is no different than taking care of 10, I've found.

Actually, I have my hands full with building my house. It keeps raining, and setting me back days, digging the foundations back out. In the long run, it will be worth it - but I picked about the worst possible design for going it mostly alone and suffering massive product delays. Took more than 2 months to get my ICF delivered - in which time we had a 20-year rainfall event which washed my hill into my dig. and last week, we had what would have been a 20-year rainfall event, if we hadn't just had a bigger one a few months earlier.

Taking care of 50 is no different than taking care of 10, I've found.
Congrats on the new house.!!! I have heard from the in laws how hard it is to get siding for the house now, and that goes for a lot of construction supplies.

I'm glad that 50 & 10 is very similar in care, because at the rate I'm going, I'll have 100 and a farm in a year. ha!

Back
Top Bottom