how many chickens does it take....

Well I'll start, SILKIES, or Cochins, or if you want big eggs, Orps. Wyndottes, RIR..........
big_smile.png

i want to raise the kind of chicks that will come running to me when they see me coming out to them!! i want the chicks that want want to be HUGGED and PETTED by us!!

lol.png

if i tell that to the feedstore guys, they'll know just what to give me, won't they? (after they shamelessly laugh in my face, i mean)

Then raise them from day old chicks, most of my birds are friendly even the ones I didn't hand raise but they connect treats to you so I trip over my silkies but they are half blind from the crest....... I pick them up all the time and brush the (hair) out of their eye and talk with them, they talk back, it's so cute!

Hi Reneshay! Last spring I became a first time chicken mom. My DH said he was fine with 6 chicks or so. I promptly ordered 25 cuz it's the minimum order from the hatchery. Well his dog has taken the number down to 23 now.:thun
I wanted big eggs, chickens that looked like chickens instead of poodles (no offense silkie and polish folks) and I wanted lap chickens. I got Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds and Black Australorps. The BR's seem to be the most social of my girls, but they will all come running when they see me. I feel like the pied piper walking around our 6 acres with 23 hens trailing after me, just in case I may turn over a buggy rock or something. If I sit down the limit is 7 in my lap. Number 8 has to knock somebody off to get a spot. I want to get some Buff Oprpingtons this year, but I think I will settle for just 3 this year. Although...the hatchery catalog just came in the mail and there are lots of other fun breeds I would like to have too!

You gotta get at least four to have an even number. As for care, I say a dog and cat are a lot more work. No walks or litter boxes to maintain daily. Just fill the feeder and water and let it go for 3 days and then pick up eggs when you go visit them.:p

Shoot, at that rate, with big enough feeders and waters, having 20 is not much harder than 4! LOL

DANG nccatnip! Is that your roo? He's HUGE!! I have 5 BO hens, no roo...
tongue.gif
But, I have blue/black/splash/buff orpington eggs coming, so I darn well better get a big boy!

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread but this is Frank and Murray. Frank is the banty roo and he is the king of my place. He is hysterical keeping Murray and Peter (the other BO roo) in line. Chases them out of the coop at night until all the ladies are in and settled.
Frankmurray2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom